• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#31 Nancy

Nancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 09 October 2004 - 12:42 PM

Glad everyone got through Jeanne OK. We arrived in Orlando two days ahead of her. It was really strange to find ourselves confined to our hotel. Found it really interesting to talk to 'evacuees' and hear their stories.
Our friends were at another hotel just up the road from ours and we called each other with updates. Their hotel lost power before ours did and the had more damage than ours too. It was really strange to be watching the storm on TV and think it was coming towards us and would get worse. The noise of the wind whistling down the corridors took me back to the story we had a while back about the Scottish Castle. It felt like we were in some haunted desolate place. I felt really sorry for people with kids. It must have been awful trying to keep them amused and explain why they couldn't go see Micky! We met a really nice couple from Tampa who told us that the last hotel they had weathered the storm at had opened up a huge room that the children could play football in! laugh.gif
I felt really sorry when I saw houses with trees through their roofs etc. It is one thing to see this on the news but to actually be there and see at first hand was something else.
We got home yesterday and it was really only from the air that you saw how much flooding there was in the area around Sanford. I think Ron lives near there doesn't he?
Anyway, now I know what you are talking about (a little) when you talk of hurricaines and have even more respect than before at your laid back attitude to it. To have gone through it so many times in such a short space of time is awful.
I did hear one report say that this will be the pattern for the next five to twenty years, then another report said 2004 was a once in a lifetime event. Let's hope it's the latter.
Luckily Lisa took out to sea and let's hope you have no more this year.
Must admit though that if my husband was a roofer I'd have had him knocking on doors though rolleyes.gif Only kidding. I must admit that I didn't realise you had a shortage of workers and that people couldn't just turn up from other states to do the work. That must make things really bad for householders.
I couldn't send this from the hotel as their computers were acting up, possibly because of the storm.
Glad it's over though - the storm tongue.gif not my holiday sad.gif

#32 Petals

Petals

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 09 October 2004 - 01:18 PM

[B]Hello Nancy, I never thought you were in that part of the world. Thought you were in N.Y. Anyway, glad you are OK and made it back safely.

Your comments about the Castle made me laugh! Remember you were the one who found the Castle in the first instance. Perhaps that was a warning! ohmy.gif

There are lots of postings about the hurricanes, which you might find interesting. Quite something!

sad.gif

#33 Nancy

Nancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 10 October 2004 - 08:14 AM

Hi Jacky, New York is is December. (Only about eight weeks to go - Hooray!)
I saw a lot of damage and can only wonder at the resiliance of the Floridians who had to put up protection, take it down and put it back so often! Going by what Lisa said it take so much time. Do employers give time off for this? We went to Winter Park on the Saturday that Jeanne was due and the place we stopped for lunch said they were shutting at one as they had been told to go by the owner. It must have been a serious disruption to commerce over there. I heard of a couple who were there for three weeks but only had five days good weather as they got the tail end of one hurricaine and then the next came and in between it rained for most of the time. They said they won't be back! We had great weather apart from the hurricaine. Terrorists didn't stop me going to NY just after Sept 11th and hurricaines won't stop me going back to Florida. Must admit though that if I had a holiday home there I'd have to be over all the time to check it out! (Is that a bad thing?? rolleyes.gif ??)

#34 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 10 October 2004 - 04:57 PM

ohmy.gif Nancy, you survived a hurricane in Florida and you won't travel to Paris via the tunnel? blink.gif I don't get it - give me the tunnel over the hurricane ANY day!! tongue.gif

#35 Nancy

Nancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 11 October 2004 - 01:21 PM

Still more scared of the chunnel! You won't get me through it, even if you said they were selling EL Carousels for 10 euros at the other end!!! rolleyes.gif

#36 Petals

Petals

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 11 October 2004 - 04:22 PM

YOU CANNOT BE SERIOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NANCY, YOU MUST COME WITH ME ON EUROSTAR AND WE CAN GO ROUND THE FLEA MARKETS........PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEESE?

#37 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 11 October 2004 - 05:39 PM

QUOTE(Nancy @ Oct 11 2004, 06:34 PM)

Still more scared of the chunnel! You won't get me through it, even if you said they were selling EL Carousels for 10 euros at the other end!!!  rolleyes.gif

No - you wouldn't be on the train if that was the case, because it'd be packed with all us other collectors cramming on to bag a bargain!!

On the other hand, what if it was the Ivory Princess or very expensive Bob the bear up for grabs? laugh.gif

#38 Nancy

Nancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 13 October 2004 - 03:00 PM

I guess that is why irrational fears are called irrational! I cannot help it. Another thing, you don't want to get stuck in a lift (elevator) with me!!!!!!!!!!!! blink.gif

#39 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 13 October 2004 - 05:37 PM

Thanks for the warning! laugh.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users