38 replies to this topic

#1 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 23 September 2004 - 06:52 PM

Hello everyone,

Well, here we are again! We were just feeling like things were getting back to normal and now we are in the path of hurricane Jeanne.

I just wanted to say I am sorry for not being around in the past few weeks and hopefully this storm will not be like the last one. After taking down all the shutters last weekend they will go up again tomorrow. It's so much work and it will only push everything back further (already we are behind on everything!)

We will try to keep everyone updated and again sorry. sad.gif

#2 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 23 September 2004 - 08:49 PM

Wondered how you guys were going over there. Thanks for the update, and all I can offer are my commiserations, thoughts and prayers.

Good Luck in the eye of the storm. Hope the weather clears up soon for you all over there.

Can't imagine being in a hurricane myself. Guess I'm just lucky.

Take it easy and hang on!!

#3 Don and Margaret

Don and Margaret

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 23 September 2004 - 10:00 PM

All we can say at this point is "Bless your hearts and stay safe". What a season. ph34r.gif

#4 P.E.Parry

P.E.Parry

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 24 September 2004 - 08:14 PM

Hi Lisa

Here we go again! Hate to think of you and Jack putting up those shutters again. Such a chore!

We have been through a few hurricanes but they were always a few years apart.
Never on an every two week schedule. There has not been time to clear out the debris from the previous storm. As Charlie Brown would say - Good Grief!

Hope Jeanne keeps moving and doesn't refuse to go as did Frances.

Thanks to all members here for all your good wishes. We can use some good luck.

Phyllis

#5 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 24 September 2004 - 09:03 PM

Phyllis,

I hear you! What a total pain.

It is now almost 10:00 and we just finished our shutters, and another neighbors house.... did I mention we started at about 11:00 today???? sad.gif

Tomorrow we will finish up another neighbors house and tie up some last minute details, anyone have any bread, can't find that or gas or ice........

What a tough year, I still love Florida however. cool.gif

#6 Michele

Michele

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 25 September 2004 - 09:29 AM

Phyllis - Lisa...See my post to Donna under Hurricane Ivan...can't send gas or ice but let me know if you need anything from Home Depot...it can be there by Monday, hopefully....

#7 Petals

Petals

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 25 September 2004 - 01:00 PM

Lisa thanks for your posts. The shutters are up again and Jeanette, your relatives are near mine. Hope you all stay safe and well.........

Take care!

#8 VEGAS LADY

VEGAS LADY

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 25 September 2004 - 04:59 PM

SO SORRY THAT SOME OF YOU HAVE HURRICANE PROBLEMS, I WILL NEVER MOAN ABOUT OUR BRITISH WEATHER AGAIN. PLEASE KEEP SAFE AND WELL.
JACKY.... I HOPE YOUR RELATIVES ARE OK.

GOOD LUCK TO ALL IN THE PATH OF THIS ONE.....MARGARET......

#9 mimi

mimi

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 534 posts

Posted 25 September 2004 - 05:26 PM

Sorry to be so late in posting!! I too, will send anything that I can to help any of you.

Michelle.....I am so glad that your hand is better. I've been thinking of you and wanting to let you know that I'm wishing you the best.

Hang tough all of you.....surely this will be over soon.

Love Love.....

Mimi

wub.gif

#10 P.E.Parry

P.E.Parry

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 26 September 2004 - 10:27 AM

Sunshine has just reappeared here in my South Flordia area. Feel so very grateful that the worst winds and storm surge again missed our location and that we never lost power. We were fully prepared to travel west to the home of a neice if storm headed for us. Lisa is a few miles north of here and winds and rain would have been heavier. Hope they didn't lose power again. Feel concern for Ron and Mary Lou as they are experiencing a third hit in Orlando. And Donna - didn't she just say the power just came back from the last storm? Geez! Don't know if this storm is headed toward her or not. If any of them could let us know their needs I am close enough to help in any way possible.

Glad to know Michele is recovering from hand injury. Very strange that the only casuality from a hurricane in this group would occur in PA. Hope Jeanne will die out before traveling much farther north.

These hurricanes are scary even when not in the worst of it. The howling winds and horizontal rains make one very nervous. It helps to receive the good wishes from so many on this site. Thanks.

Phyllis

#11 Don and Margaret

Don and Margaret

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 26 September 2004 - 12:04 PM

We just talked to Margarets' mother in Tampa and she said it wasn't too bad there. Just windy and raining like crazy. Our sympathy again to all of you in Florida (and the other affected states) this summer. It's been a crazy weather month but maybe it's about over, at least for this season. Come on Fall. blink.gif

p.s. Lisa and Jack, maybe you should consider the permanently mounted steel louver shutters. laugh.gif

#12 Solidcrazy

Solidcrazy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 26 September 2004 - 02:36 PM

Lisa,

I hope the storm is weakened by the time it gets to there and you and your home are unharmed. Stay safe! Donna

#13 Michele

Michele

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 26 September 2004 - 10:34 PM

Just watched the weather report from Florida and it doesn't look good at all. Actually, what the camera's concentrated on looked worse than the last 3 hurricanes.

Pennsylvania and all the northern states do not need more rain, as we have been getting anywhere from 7" to 16" of rain a month all summer. Have never seen so much flooding in my entire life. Bridges out, power outages, foundations of homes collapsing from the soaked earth...it's been a nightmare. Trees are being ripped up due to the amount of rain that has saturated and loosened the roots...the winds can easily pull over a 100 year old Oak with roots a half block long...faster than a Bunny can rip off one of Mimi's petunia's! sad.gif Martha...am sure you have a good idea of what I'm talking about. Phyllis - wish I lived in a condo where all I had to do was call the landlord and say "Fix it!" That would be so great. Unfortunately, I am the "landlord" laugh.gif and when things go wrong, the owner (me) is responsible. blink.gif Am happy I didn't have a chain saw in my hand! laugh.gif

It seems like the weather worldwide has gone berserk..Haiti, Cuba, Jamaica, the Bahamas...so much destruction and death I just cannot believe this is happening.

I have no idea how the people in Florida are coping with the repeated pounding of wind and rain. My heart and prayers go out to each and everyone affected by these unbelievable storms. You all take care, hang in there and know you're in our thoughts and prayers...
wub.gif

#14 P.E.Parry

P.E.Parry

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 27 September 2004 - 10:57 PM

Michele :

I am cracking up at your remarks laugh.gif. Condo means since we own the premises we also own all the problems including a major building flood in the past year that meant ripping out 2000 sq.ft. of carpeting. (Never again - we replaced it with porcelean tile). No calling the landlord here but thank goodness for insurance.

But even funnier is that we own a property management company that we founded 32 years ago. tongue.gif Since we are official retiring at the end of this year we have been deliberately decreasing our portfolio. As of now I only manage; a commercial strip center in North Miami Beach, an office warehouse complex in Miami Lakes, 2 office buildings in downtown Miami Shores, an office building in Bay Harbor Islands, an apartment building in Miami Beach, commercial strip in NW Miami, and 2 HUD subsidized buildings for the elderly in South Beach and 1 Hud elderly in West Palm Beach (total of 3 HUD - 435 units). Guess who they call for service! Guess who gets to lease, inspect and maintain these properties for owners, serveral being foreign owners/clients.

And you think I sit in my condo and yell FiX It! HA! dry.gif I Wish! dry.gif

Do appreciate your emphasizing with us but we get early warnings and can prepare and evacuate to safer places. But the poor people in the islands, especially the Haitians are faced with utter disaster. Lot of organizations here are working to get badly needed supplies and help to them. It will not be enough, the country has been in ruins for many years now.

Hope the storm completely falls apart before reaching you.

Phyllis

#15 dante

dante

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 28 September 2004 - 05:56 AM

Phyllis,
it's wonderful you can still manage to have a laugh with eveything that is happening around you.My thoughts are with everyone in Florida, and lets hope things only get better from now on. I can only imagine what you all are going through

Dante

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users