• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Redmpeaches

Redmpeaches

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 27 April 2002 - 12:08 PM

Hi as I am new to serious collecting,I wonder what should collectors be looking out for? Do they go for very old solids, exclusives and do they have to be Mint in box.?Could anyone offer some helpful tips? I know the Imperial Princess is very valuable but are there a list of much sought after solids? Can anyone name them or where can I find such information.Thanks.By the way, are the Intuition solids only available outside the States and are they valuable? There is a listing for 3 of them onEbay.

#2 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 27 April 2002 - 03:16 PM

Hello,

I feel it is best to have the box and white outer box when ever possible, however it is hard to find the box with the vintage solids. For now I am buying the vintage ones without the box and hope to someday replace it with one that I find in a box. Best way to judge the value is to watch how frequently it shows up on ebay, this is why I felt it necessay to add the "solid values" to the site. Day by day this will become a very valuable resource to chart the price, when it sold and how many times it has come up for auction.
The drops of Intuition were solids exclusive to Harrods in London. Yes, I would consider them to be valuable because they are no longer being produced and that they weren't offered in the US or other places.

#3 luscious11@aol.com

luscious11@aol.com

Pamela

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 05 May 2002 - 01:48 PM

Hello:
I will only buy vintage solids or powders without a box - but they have to be in almost perfect or perfect condition for me. I figure that they are the ones worth having in my collection since all of the others I have come with both inner and outer boxes and have never been used. I save all the boxes in large bins in my storage area at home. The bins have lids so they do not get damaged. My curio cabinet is in the cooler area of my home and not in direct sunlight. I have found some older compacts and solids with boxes and I display them right in my curio in their box. If I find a solid or compact that I don't have I will not purchase it if it has been used or it is not in great shape. I figure I will wait until another that is in better shape comes along. Hope this Helps!

#4 Brigitte

Brigitte

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 05 May 2002 - 07:59 PM

Hi everyone,

just wanted to let you know that the Intuition solids were not Harrod's exclusives but sold in all Perfume Shops in Switzerland too and as far as I know also in Australia, but they were not sold in the US.
I wish you a wonderful day
Brigitte (swisslady)

#5 marie5

marie5

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 11 May 2002 - 03:13 PM

I am new too in collecting EL. Is Ebay the only place to purchase them? The only other place I saw was the Neiman Marcus online store. I do not live near a big city where I can buy them. I have never been in an antique store. Are EL solids there? How do I judge what to buy in them and how much?

#6 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 11 May 2002 - 09:44 PM

Marie,

Do you have Roselyn Gerson's book? It is a great reference for prices and photos of the actual solids.
The solids hit the store in July/August so best thing to do is get your order in A.S.A.P. they go so quick. I find most on mine on ebay but have found some at antique markets and yard sales.
It is hard to know prices but this is why I started the solid values page, you can type in what you are looking for and get an average of what it has been selling for on ebay and how many times it has come up for auction. [Smile]

#7 lunasee

lunasee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 14 May 2002 - 03:59 PM

These solids are habit forming. The advise I always give to new collector's is buy what you like. There are so many choices & if you are anything like me you must have them all, but I don't. [Frown] This will most likely keep you poor [Eek!] . Unless you are made of money, [Big Grin] which very few of us are. Being new you will most likely get over whelmed. You may want to start with a theme such as just cats. They have several subjects to chose from. If fund are limited pick yourself one or two special ones a year. Remember it is not the quanity but the quality & those that you just love & must have. I personally love the old original ones just as much. Max Factor has some great figurals that display well with the Estee Lauder's. Happy Hunting.
By the way Lisa, this is a wonderful site

#8 Lauderlover

Lauderlover

Lauderlover

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 19 May 2002 - 03:09 AM

I have a shop at RubyLane.com called A King's Ransom, you can find 50+ Estee Solids there!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users