• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Martha C

Martha C

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 08 August 2004 - 10:23 AM

I've worn Shalimar by Guerlain for years (fragrance notes are Bergamot, Iris, Vanilla and Amber). It's my all-time favorite, but have recently been wearing (in moderation) Hypnotic Poison by Christian Dior (fragrance notes are amber, musk, bitter almond, jasmine caraway, and vanilla).

To give EL its due, I wore Cinnabar for the first time to work a couple of weeks ago, and don't you know received two compliments from co-workers (both male and female). And I never get compliments on my perfume!

I'd be interested to know what everyone else is wearing these days.

#2 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 08 August 2004 - 11:08 AM

Martha,

My absolute favorite fragrance is:

ANGEL by Thierry Mugler, it is a fruity sweet oriental, with essences of honey,chocolate and caramel. Blonded with notes of vanilla,patchouli and sandal wood, ANGEL is a romantic type of fragrance.

I am also in love with the new fragrance ISLAND KISS by Escada with notes of sunny accord, transparent florals, magnolia, white peach, tart red fruits, hibiscus, blond wood & musk.

Knowing is my favorite EL fragrance and I also like White Linen Breeze too.

Jack is right now is wearing Dolce & Gabanna Pour Homme with notes of: orange, lemon, bergamot, lavender, sage, sandalwood, tobacco, cedar.

My favorite mens fragrance is: Fahrenheit by Dior with notes of: hawthorn & sandalwood

#3 Aoide

Aoide

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 August 2004 - 12:06 PM

My absolute favorite fragrance is Joy by Jean Patou. As you can imagine I don't wear it very often or have the money to buy it.

I love Shalimar as well. I wore it for years and years. Just in the last two weeks I bought Opium. I haven't worn Opium in years and it is a very refreshing change from Shalimar although they are both listed as oriental.

I actually like lots of different perfumes. I guess that is how this whole collecting thing began. First I was getting perfume as gifts from my mom and aunt to wear and then came the bottles and then came the solids. There are so many scents out there that I like.

From http://scentagious.com//index.html
Joy is a sumptuous floral fragrance.
Top notes: Aldehydes, peach, greens, calyx
Heart notes: Grasse jasmine, Bulgarian rose, ylang-ylang, orchid, lily-of-the-vally, orris, tuberose
Base notes: sandalwood, musk, civet

Opium is an oriental fragrance.
Top notes: mandarin, plum, clove, pepper, cilantro, bay leaf
Heart notes: lily-of-the-valley, rose, jasmine, cinnamon, peach, orris, carnation
Base notes: labdanum, benzoin, myrrh, opopanax, castoreum, cedar, sandalwood, benjamin, amber, patchouli, tolu, vetiver

Shalimar is an oriental fragrance.
Top notes: bergamot, lemon, hesperides
Heart notes: jasmine, iris, rose, patchouli, vetiver
Base notes: vanilla, incense, opopanax, sandalwood, musk, civet, ambergris, leather

#4 TERRY

TERRY

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 08 August 2004 - 04:47 PM

A few years back we owned a small business here on Long Island. It was a
seasonal business catering to the summer trade. Mrs. Lauder was a customer and
at the beginning of each summer she would bring me a shopping bag full of
Estee Lauder products. Iwas trilled with all the gifts. Mrs.Lauder always
smelled devine and I couldn`t help but ask her what fragrance she was
wearing. It was CLINIQUE`S AROMATICS ELIXIR . Its been my favorite for
the past 15 years and I`m always asked what fragrance I`m wearing.

No, I never got any solids from her. DARN!!

Terry

#5 Martha C

Martha C

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 08 August 2004 - 06:24 PM

Terry, that is a WONDERFUL STORY! Thanks for sharing that little slice of life with us. I'm definitely going to sample Aromatics Elixir the next time I'm at the Clinique counter ... can't wait!

#6 loveperfume

loveperfume

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 08 August 2004 - 09:43 PM

I can't really say that I have a favorite. I have worn Red Door by Elizabeth Arden for years though since everyone keeps giving it to me for Christmas. I like just about all of the EL fragrances. Intuition is really nice. Also thinking about getting Cashmere Mist. I tested a sample and really like it. The list could go on and on. Have a bottle of curve that I've been wearing lately also. I keep sampling different perfumes but I would have to say I keep going back to Red Door as a signature perfume.

#7 Aoide

Aoide

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 August 2004 - 11:00 PM

QUOTE(loveperfume @ Aug 8 2004, 08:56 PM)
I have worn Red Door by Elizabeth Arden for years though since everyone keeps giving it to me for Christmas.

laugh.gif That is what happened with me and Shalimar. Every Christmas... and I love Shalimar, but I think I finally broke free this summer by buying something different. Now I just have to make sure the relatives know.

#8 Jeanette

Jeanette

Jeanette

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 09 August 2004 - 08:40 AM

Martha, Great topic!

My all-time favorite perfume is Knowing by EL. I remember when it first came out where I received a generous sample of it, wore it, and received many compliments on the scent (which I never receive).

I do like to wear other perfumes, depending on the season and/or mood. Right now I am wearing Orange Blossom by Jo Malone. I love her scents and her bath oils are heavenly.

I also like Spring Flowers (I think that is the name of it) by Creed.

My husband likes to try new scents too but his usual scent is Obsession, which he gets many compliments on.

I recently tried a sample of Joy by Jean Patou and have been meaning to purchase a bottle. My husband really liked the scent on me. And I am intrigued by Terry's comments on the Clinique Aromatics Elixir....will have to try that one too!

Jeanette smile.gif

#9 2cute4u2

2cute4u2

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 09 August 2004 - 10:59 AM

Hello:

My favorite perfumes are Jadore by Dior; Ibiza Hippie by Escada;Lolita Lempicka (have received compliments on this one as well as the Jadore); EL favorite is Intuition. My most recent purchase was Elizabeth Arden's Provocative Woman and I really love it! Of course, I can't list the ingredients...but I do know that I tend to like perfumes with vanilla. wink.gif

Lisa...I like the new Island Kiss by Escada, but refuse to buy it because I know that I won't be able to get it because it is limited and I just went through heck and high water to find another bottle of Ibiza Hippie. Many of the independent perfume shops do stock up on these Escada perfumes so...I may just buy Island Kiss knowing that I can find it at least for another year at a small perfume shop. laugh.gif

#10 favoritegram

favoritegram

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 09 August 2004 - 05:07 PM

Being an avid perfume collector this will sound funny. I am violently allergic to any fragrance made with flowers. I only can wear Shalimar especially after meeting Raj Dov(sp?) at Nordstroms several years ago. He eplained that Shalimar is only made with natural oils not flowers. I also have worn Obsession by Calvin Klein for years. Ocassionally I can wear Youth Dew but almost anything else gives me severe headaches, LOL, Lainey

#11 VEGAS LADY

VEGAS LADY

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 09 August 2004 - 05:47 PM

HI TERRY.....

I USE CLINIQUES AROMATICS wub.gif wub.gif A QUICK SPRAY OVER IN THE MORNING AND IT LASTS ALL DAY. PEOPLE ARE ALLWAYS ASKING WHAT PERFUME I AM WEARING.

REGARDS....MARGARET..... smile.gif smile.gif

#12 ribbitdenver

ribbitdenver

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 13 August 2004 - 10:07 PM

i wore Chanel #5 from 6th grade on - my dad wanted me to be a lady ;0) a great memory now that he is gone. i wore Dune and poison for a while but when I found Angel that was it - I get more compliments on it. I love it too.

#13 dante

dante

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 15 August 2004 - 06:05 AM

My favourite every day fragrance is EL Beautiful or Eternity. I also like to wear Chanel's Coco Mademoiselle, which I have just discovered.

I remember the first time I was ever given a bottle of "real french Perfume". I was about fourteen working after school in the local supermarket, a very small establishment. The manager gave all his "girls" a bottle of Lanvin's Arpege for christmas, as u can imagine I was just thrilled especially since I had never been given perfume before. Arpege is still a sentimental favourite and I wore it until I discoverd Beautiful.

Dante

#14 Petals

Petals

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 20 August 2004 - 02:21 AM

Intrigued by the Cliniques Aromatics. Must test that one! Loved the story Terry! Shame about the solids! sad.gif

I am using Shalimar, Deci Dela (Nina Ricci) and Arpege at the moment. All three opened at the same time! sad.gif Arpege was my second favourite but I seem to have gone off that one lately. I think it is better for the winter months.

I have a bottle of Intution, E.L. which is still unopened , Chanel No.5, also unopened plus FLOWER by Kenzo which I really loved last time I was wearing! Well stocked for the moment I think.

BUT the one I loved is now discontinued.......L'Arte Di Gucci sad.gif sad.gif

Martha, I shall now be sneezing all day huh.gif

#15 Denise

Denise

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 23 August 2004 - 01:14 PM

Martha,

This is very interesting.....

I used to love Chloe Perfume, then I switched to Anais Anais, then I ended up with Clinique Aromatics which I have been wearing for years.

Like other members have mentioned, people still ask me what I am wearing.....

I just love that Scent! smile.gif smile.gif

Denise

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users