• Please log in to reply
103 replies to this topic

#76 klassicguy1

klassicguy1

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 06 August 2004 - 08:14 PM

Hello everyone.....I am back from my travels. I participated in the call from the beautiful Birmingham Airport, but heard all that was discussed and said. I need to collect my thoughts and will post this weekend.

Thanks to everyone for their overwhelming support.

Woody

#77 Denise

Denise

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 07 August 2004 - 05:30 AM

Brigitte,

Thanks for telling us this story, and yes, I understand perfectly what you mean about selling your Grandmother.

You are absolutely correct that EL only cares about their company and will use people to get what they want. Once they have it, they have no use for you.

I do love the Compacts and bought some Strongwaters yesterday at Saks. What bothered me was that my Saks SA promised me a free Strongwater Frame with my purchase and when I asked her about it, she told me that she took 2 of the Frames home. I was upset and she told me that she would bring one of the Frames back to the Store for me. I will call her everyday until I get what I was promised. I couldn't believe that this Rep was taking home these Frames.

On another note, I did some research to find out which Cosmetic Companies were in the top 10. To my surprise, Avon was listed way up there.

I know this will sound crazy, but if everyone (including myself) would write to Avon and ask them to start making Solid Compacts (I never cared what type of perfume the solid was), I wonder if it is possible to give Avon the incentive to start making Compacts.

They used to make Solid Perfume Compacts, not as pretty as the EL ones, but it's just an idea. In any case, I am going to contact them and see what happens.

My attitude is what do I have to lose?

Denise

#78 Astrid

Astrid

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 07 August 2004 - 06:39 AM

Hi Denise,

I welcome your idea to get in touch with Avon biggrin.gif (or any other makers).

In the 60s (I think) they made a few pretty solid perfumes which I have in my collection, e.g. the Memory Book. Not those made of plastic but the others made of goldtone metal & detailed surface.

I don't think there's always a need to have rhinestones everywhere ... Max Factor didn't, Prince Matchabelli only a few (eyes), Corday ... Revlon ... Fuller Brush, only to mention a few really OLD & well-known brands. Sure, I love sparkling things like many others on this site, too, but it's not a must.

Let me know if I can be of assistance smile.gif

To all the others who where involved in the conference call:

A big THANK YOU for your efforts !

To me it was clear that yo would get the answers you described, sorry. Some time ago I stopped wondering about EL & their policies/behaviour, I stopped thinking & getting mad about them, therefore, you won't see any posts from me discussing this topic. My time is just too precious to only get headache & have bad days !

Chins up, and enjoy your collections !

#79 Brigitte

Brigitte

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 07 August 2004 - 07:30 AM

Helloo everyone,

here comes some post I've made earlier and my thoughts till are the same.
Hi Nancy,

several years ago I wrote to the Lauder company too.....no answer at all. Then I got to know a sales manager of Lauder and she told the headoffice to answer my fax and I got a tiny notice from them, but no answer to my questions.
Lauder isn't at all interested in us collectors, at least not about giving any help to us. I had a similar frustrating experience with Lauder UK.
Why are you interested in dealing with them??? According to my opinion we got this wonderful place from Lisa & Jack to share our ideas and thoughts, isn't this much more satisfying our desires??? At least for myself it is more than that, they have my deep appreciation for their work and believe me I know what I'm takling about. I have had this idea since a very long time but wasn't able to realize it myself as I'm not good in "programming a computer".....now fortunately it has been realized by Lisa & Jack and they allow us all to profit on it.....

Hi Lisa,

I think these Lauder people don't know anything about collecting solids. The Moonsilver one can get on eBay nearly every day and they tell that it's worht $ 3500.00....they really have no idea or did they eventually have it made of platin???? I'd say the Aliage Sport Necklace should be insured for about $ 500.00 to $ 1000.00 but this ordinary Moonsilver Necklace.

Some of the members asked why Lauder didn't do a site like yours for their collectors. Thanks God that you were first to launch it instead of the Lauder people, as they have no clou about these solids. They don't even exactly know how many different solids have been made since they started producing them.

Sorry, but I'm getting furious when people talk about things they arn't familiar with.

Brigitte

#80 Ann and Ken

Ann and Ken

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 07 August 2004 - 08:47 AM

Posted July 12, by a member.

Just spoke with Micky from Estee Lauder Manhasset and she gave me some wonderful information for our overseas friends.

Estee Lauder Corp. has given permission for orders to be taken and solids/compacts to be shipped directly from the United States to collectors overseas.

I would imagine you can place advance orders, but that's probably up to the individual stores. At least now it's a little easier to purchase the one's you love, even if they never get to your Country. This might also make a difference in the price you pay. Micky also stated you will not have to pay tax. Am not sure if that means your VAT or what...you would have to check with her on that one. 

A note of thanks to Micky for working so hard to have this happen! And perhaps Estee Lauder does read this board after all! 

I asked the question on the call -- Can we in the states get shipping by air instead of the 2 weeks it takes for a package by ground to get south ?? Heat is a big problem here.

EL totally denied that they ever nor would they ever ship overseas or in the States by air from their stores in LV or NYC.

Got a package a couple of weeks ago by air???????????

Ann

#81 Michele

Michele

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 07 August 2004 - 08:50 AM

Wow, Ann! That's one that needs clarification. Will call this weekend and find out!

Do any 2 people at Estee Lauder have the same answer for any question? Just curious....

Ann - When you asked them the question about extra stones tucked in with the new solids, and they replied it was a possibility for the "more expensive" solids, did they clarify "more expensive than WHAT?" A Rolls Royce? A Lear Jet? If they can put the extra stones in with a $95 powder compact, what is the problem with extra stones for a $250 to $400 solid?

Again...I'm done for a while...must zoom....

#82 Ann and Ken

Ann and Ken

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 07 August 2004 - 08:59 AM

Forgot Lisa put this in her first report on page one.

It was asked why the solids could not be shipped via air within the US. EL said their policy was to ship via ground only in the US and that it was probably their contract with the carriers that prevented any exception.

They went on in their answer to include overseas.

Ann

#83 Ann and Ken

Ann and Ken

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 07 August 2004 - 09:08 AM

They did not clarify but I took it as they meant the Leiber since the concern was about her compacts.

I personally have never lost a stone out of the EL powder compacts but like the security of have extra stones they always included.

It makes no sense to me why we can't have the same for the solids .

We should not have to worry about stones falling out but that concern has been brought up so I asked.

Ann

#84 Michele

Michele

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 07 August 2004 - 09:23 AM

Ah - The quote does not state "by air." So possibly they are shipping by boat - 4 to 5 weeks? Has anyone from overseas ordered any new solids from Neiman's, Sak's or the Stand Alone stores? If so, what has been the outcome?

ooops...just read your post...they do ship "ground" (water) overseas.

Thank you, by the way, for inquiring about the extra stones for the solids...maybe they'll consider it?

Meanwhile, am waiting for a return call.... ph34r.gif

#85 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 07 August 2004 - 09:37 AM

Well, one of our biggest concerns is back at it on eBay. During the conference call we again brought it to EL attentions that we did not seeing the damaged solids on eBay. This particular seller has been selling since before the Las Vegas convention and this seller claims they purchase the damaged solids as "repair lots" We were told by Mr. Annese that EL does not sell damaged merchandise to anyone and they EL could not stop sellers selling what they already had.

I would like to know the policy of what happens with the damaged solids however this is most likely "proprietary information" what ever they are doing at Victoria & Co. in regard with the damaged solids is not good enough. I further explained to Mr. Annese that new collectors may not know what to look for and that they may not know that a base was made for the marlin or magic slipper- it hurts EL too, because now this collector will be looking for answers when they do find out they wasted their money on a solid they were told was mint but in actuality is missing parts.

Since were told EL was not familiar with eBay I will put put the link as perhaps they can see on their own what we keep telling them:
A list of damaged solids on ebay

#86 Ann and Ken

Ann and Ken

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 07 August 2004 - 09:49 AM

Lisa-- Were we not told at dinner in LV that this person had been "taken care of"??

I had inluded this sellers name and all she had been selling in the folder I gave to Mr. Annese pre convention so it could be checked into.

What does EL mean then when it has been" taken care of"?

Ann

#87 2cute4u2

2cute4u2

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 07 August 2004 - 12:29 PM

QUOTE(Ann and Ken @ Aug 7 2004, 07:02 AM)

What does EL mean then when it  has been" taken care of"?

[QUOTE]

Gee Ann...didn't you know? That is "proprietary information". BAH on EL and all their BS! mad.gif

#88 ribbitdenver

ribbitdenver

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 07 August 2004 - 12:43 PM

I especially like the Fragon Fly on junk right now LOL - I do agree onthe AVON idea, Ihave the Memory Book and the Fuller Brush Bird Cage both are so well done, no stones but back then no ne did stones.

Very sad when a company of their dollar size doesn't have a clue what the right hand is selling.

Hang in there Lisa !

#89 Denise

Denise

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 07 August 2004 - 02:43 PM

Hi all,

I am going to try to forget about this Conference Call since it is so darn Negative. Can't make sense from something that is "senseless". mad.gif

I will call Avon on Monday, the reason I picked Avon is for 2 reasons, first of all, they used to make Solid Compacts, secondly, they make so many different perfumes, much more the EL. I am going to ask them if they had many buyers, would they consider making these Compacts again?

Does anyone have any other ideas to what I should ask them?

Denise

#90 Petals

Petals

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 07 August 2004 - 02:51 PM

Firstly I would like to say that we do receive solids posted by air. I have received them direct from E.L. I have no intention of getting the sender into any kind of trouble, so I WILL NOT divulge a name.

Secondly, Denise your investigative work is appreciated. Lisa, your link is an eye opener. That is a fantastic idea to keep us up to date on what NOT TO BUY. Especially the new Collectors who are not yet aware of the pitfalls! And as for the Seller, this might be the end of all those unsuspecting bids!

Denise, just because something is negative, I personally don't think one can dismiss it. Think of all the work that has been put in on the site, and the collections of so many people. I do hear what you are saying and understand, but at the same time I think we should not write off all that has been done and said, and all that is ongoing .......... smile.gif Am not having a go at you in any way, shape or form, just putting down my thoughts in this 'discussion'.

wink.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users