• Please log in to reply
103 replies to this topic

#46 Mark

Mark

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 05 August 2004 - 09:04 PM

Let them watch me- !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#47 Michele

Michele

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 05 August 2004 - 09:23 PM

Ok...now I'm getting paranoid here. You guys are scaring me. Remember when I was at Neiman's to have a solid signed and also a Leopard I had purchased? Well, the Store Manager popped up to meet me...then when we went downstairs (my SA was with me...wanted to meet Jay Strongwater) there was another "suit" at the bottom of the escalator - I forget his title...then the Lauder Department Manager was there to meet me. I thought everyone was just being super-friendly. Tell me that's all it was??? Never considered anything less than pleasant...just very surprised at all the attention and questions. And yes, the site did come up.

I don't want to think about this anymore...I'll just go on thinking it was a social thing. No big deal... sad.gif

#48 Lori B

Lori B

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 05 August 2004 - 10:10 PM

Wow, now this has me thinking about the rewards programs - is this just a ploy so big brother can keep tabs on us????? Kinda scary thought...makes me wonder unsure.gif

Maybe I am just being paranoid.

#49 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 05 August 2004 - 10:20 PM

Lori,

unsure.gif unsure.gif unsure.gif unsure.gif
Good point, I never thought of it that way but it does make perfect sense.
unsure.gif unsure.gif unsure.gif unsure.gif

#50 Michele

Michele

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 05 August 2004 - 10:33 PM

After some thought, I've decided it's only paranoia. It was just a nice day with lots of "suits" around because of Jay being there. I've been there several times since to shop for other things and had no special treatment or unusual happenings.

#51 Mark

Mark

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 05 August 2004 - 10:59 PM

I LOVE it - Perfume Police- This is the best topic on this site so far!!!!!!!!! I can't wait til they come to my door- Just what should I wear for that occassion?? Chiffon-Organza- Maybe my Camo's - Decisions decisions decisions!!!!!!!!!!!

Mark

#52 pancho

pancho

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 06 August 2004 - 12:43 AM

I HAVE REMAINED SILENT LONG ENOUGH. THE LAST TIME I POSTED WAS TO EXPRESS MY SYMPATHY ABOUT MICHAELA.

THIS FIASCO WITH THE ESTEE COMPANY HAS BEEN LOOMING FOR A VERY LONG TIME.

I WAS AT THE CONVENTION (THE 13TH ONE I HAVE ATTENDED) AND ONCE AGAIN MOST OF THE "REGULAR" ESTEE REPS. THERE. THEY ARE ALWAYS NICE AND POLITE (TO YOUR FACE), BUT ARE ALWAYS AT THE SALES TABLES BARGAINING TO BUY BACK THEIR OWN PRODUCTS.

I PERSONALLY DON'T LIKE ANY OF THIS YEAR'S EXCEPT THE FLOWER CART AND TULIPS (WHICH I DON'T HAVE YET) I WOULD RATHER BUY SOME OF THE OLDER ONES. THE REST LOOK LIKE "BLOBS', AND I HAVE SEEN OTHER MAKER'S WHO'S PIECES ARE AWESOME AND 10 TIMES CHEAPER. I AM TIRED OF SUPPORTING SOME ESTEE EMPLOYEES WHO HOARD GWP'S (GIFTS WITH PURCHASES) AND RECEIVE TICKET'S TO WAREHOUSE SALES, AND THEN SELL THEM ON EBAY.

WHY IN THE WORLD WOULD ANYONE PAY FULL RETAIL FOR ANY ESTEE LAUDER PRODUCT WHEN THOUSANDS APPEAR ON EBAY AT A FRACTION OF RETAIL?

I HAVE AN INTERESTING STORY. MANY OF YOU HAVE RECEIVED MY CARD WITH THE PICTURE OF ESTEE LAUDER'S BUST? (IF NOT, I CAN SEND YOU ONE IF YOU CONTACT ME @ bbqueen@shaw.ca

I PURCHASED THE CHALKWARE BUST ABOUT 10 YEARS AGO (WHICH STANDS ABOUT 2 1/2 FEET TALL) HERE IN VICTORIA, BC CANADA AT A LOCAL SALE. IT SHOWED UP WHEN A MAJOR DEPARTMENT STORE HERE WENT THROUGH MAJOR RENO'S.

I CONTACTED THE HEAD OFFICE OF THE LAUDER COMPANY IN NEW YORK AND TOLD THEM I HAD THIS. THE PERSON I SPOKE TO STILL WORKS THERE, I WILL NOT MENTION HER NAME (MANY OF YOU WILL KNOW HER)

SHE THANKED ME BUT BASICALLY "BLEW ME OFF".

ABOUT 3 WEEKS LATER SHE CONTACTED ME AND APOLOGIZED FOR NOT GETTING BACK TO ME. APPARANTLY MR. LAUDER GOT WIND OF IT AND WANTED IT, AND SHE WAS MUCH NICER TO ME IN THAT PHONE CALL THAT'S FOR SURE.

IT SEEMS IT IS THE ONLY ONE IN EXISTANCE IN THE WORLD.

I WISH I KNEW THEN WHAT I KNOW NOW. I SOLD IT TO THEM FOR A SMALL PROFIT, WHICH WOULD NOW ONLY FETCH ME A SOLID PERFUME!

THEY HAVE IT ON DISPLAY IN THE HEADQUARTERS IN NEW YORK WHICH IS THE RIGHTFUL PLACE FOR IT I THINK.

SO THE POINT IS, A COMPANY THAT DIDN'T EVEN HAVE THE FORESIGHT TO KEEP A BUST OF THEIR FOUNDER, IS ONE THAT IS VERY DISORGANIZED.

I HOPE SOMEONE FROM THE HEAD OFFICE IS READING THIS, JUST IN CASE THEY DIDN'T KNOW ITS' HISTORY.

ESTEE LAUDER WOULD BE MORTIFIED IF SHE KNEW WHAT WAS HAPPENING TO HER COMPANY WHICH WAS BUILT ON CUSTOMER SERVICE.

THANKS TO ALL OF YOU ONCE AGAIN FOR YOUR DILIGENCE IN TRYING TO GET ANSWERS TO THE QUESTIONS POSED AT THE CONVENTION.

IT WAS OBVIOUS THEN THAT WE WERE JUST BEING PLACATED AND THEY ARE COUNTING ON THE COLLECTOR'S STILL BUYING THE SOLIDS.

MAYBE PEOPLE WILL BE MORE SELECTIVE THIS YEAR AND THEIR BOTTOM LINE WILL SHOW THAT. I HOPE SO!

ENJOY THE REST OF THE SUMMER EVERYONE.......BRENDA

#53 dante

dante

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 06 August 2004 - 01:11 AM

A big thanks to Lisa & all you guys who went to the effort.

I am astounded at EL's attitude, you would think they would go out of there way to encourage a site like this as it encourages people to BUY. I myself have doubled my collection since being a member of this site, many of those being first hand purchases from EL stores and of course some on the secondary market. Solids I wouldn't have known about or where to purchase if not for this wonderful site.

My complaint is the HUGE mark up we people overseas have to pay for our solids if we were able to buy them retail. The only time we can buy them here is Xmas and there are limited quantities.
Surely from reading a site like this EL execs realise what a huge, dare I say it fan base they have for solids, haven't they heard of keeping the customer happy!!!

If they are so concerned about the genuine collectors buying more than one solid why do they have the warehouse sales, where inferior products end up on ebay??

Dante

#54 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 06 August 2004 - 05:48 AM

Brenda, interesting story, reminds me of something else said on the call. When I asked about an updated list of past solids- after being scolded like a small child, we were told that every single solid produced was in Roselyn's book except the "panda/racoon that never made it into production."

We told EL that there were several solids not in the book at all (as Brigitte and several other members can attest to) and told it was not true but if we did have solid not in the book we should contact this rep and show her the solid. It was insinuated that EL would pay dearly for it.

I would like to express our thank all the members on this site who have posted to show support also thank you to those of you that are "shy" who have sent me many, many private emails"
Thank you Ann & Ken, Woody and Roselyn too.

It is good to know all our hard work and efforts mean something to those of you that are most important- the collectors. wink.gif

#55 Michele

Michele

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 06 August 2004 - 08:08 AM

Hi Brenda -

You sent me the card with photo of Estee's sculpture, and I remember thinking at the time "....I certainly hope the girl got $10,000 or more for that piece." It was incredible. (So is the Snowman....he's still a happy guy!)

Thanks for both the wonderful, mint solid and the photo of the sculpture. smile.gif

As far as what goes on at the convention(s), I'm clueless as this one was our first. Everyone seemed really nice... huh.gif

#56 Denise

Denise

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 06 August 2004 - 08:27 AM

Hi Brenda,

Thanks for the interesting story about the Bust.

Lisa, I am not surprised at EL's reaction to the List of Solids and Roselyn's Book, I wouldn't even bother contacting any Reps regarding that.

After re-thinking everything I read, I believe the bottom line is that this Site is a Threat, yes, threat to Estee Lauder which is why they want nothing to do with the Site or the members that belong to it.

Why do I think this? One of the reasons is because members give information that Lauder would like to keep private. They don't want to read about the 1st batch of Strongwaters that had problems, etc., etc. This is a giantic company that pays huge amounts of money for privacy, thus the Site unveils facts, opinions, etc. that they don't like. This is my opinion, correct me if I am wrong.

On the opposite side of the Coin, many collectors buy more Estee Solids because of the Site, but I don't think EL see's it that way.

From my own personal experience with my SA from Saks, there is a huge lack of communication within the company. For example, when I went to Saks to pick up my Bustier, my SA insisted it was designed by Jay Strongwater. I was there for 15 minutes explaining to her that it was NOT. She told me she just came out of a EL meeting and it was. This went back and forth until I asked her to open up the Compact and see if Strongwater's Name was engraved inside. Then she apologized to me and told me that she would call EL and tell them that they gave her the wrong information. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

I am sure there are more examples of this, but this is my own personal experience.

Denise

#57 Ann and Ken

Ann and Ken

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 06 August 2004 - 10:26 AM

Lisa -- The phrase that was used - If you find a EL solid that is not in Roselyn's book contact us and we will pay enough to send your child through college.

Shall we all get in line. Most of us have solids not in the book. laugh.gif

Brenda --- You are right about at the convention -- Mr Annese is very nice and his Reps. smile when he is around but behind his back and to us they are very rude.
HE must have seen that at the call because the rudeness came out.

I had a Policy vs. Reality question but never got to it about this very thing.

Tells the EL policy at conventions but the reality in the real world is so different.

I am really getting tired of EL bashing and my only hope is that someone from the real world will take notice.
The bashing is only a cry for help. We love our solids and are afraid for their future.

Like Lisa we have received many , many private emails .
The support is overwhelming.
Thanks everyone.

Lisa-- Since I doubt the comments here from collectors will ever reach Mr. Annese shall we print them out and give them to him in person.
I would like to know that the "memo" got to him .

Ann

#58 Jack

Jack

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 06 August 2004 - 10:43 AM

I agree, Ann. When we heard Mr. Annese speak in Vegas, Lisa and I both left saying how great it was that we finally had someone who seemed to really care. He seems to be a nice guy, smart and professional. In the past we haven't seen that from EL.

I wonder if he notices the different treatment we get from "others". During the call he did (after that odd, uncomfortable silence) give the "no resources/we have our one contact" line though. It sounded like maybe there was a bit of a pre-call briefing on what to say about that. You would think he or someone else in the real world there would have the clout to overrule this odd policy.

There is an article in the Summer 2002 International Perfume Bottle Association (IPBA) quarterly entitled, "The Art of Collecting", written by Daniel Annese. I don't know for sure that it's the same one, I'm assuming it is. If so, why are they ok and we are on the blacklist?

Nonetheless, we'll still have our info just the same as we always have. It just would have been nice if EL would have worked with us to provide it.

#59 Guest_BronxRed_*

Guest_BronxRed_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 August 2004 - 11:08 AM

Hi Everyone -

I am new to Solid Perfume.com and I would just like to say that my experience with EL over the years has been wonderful. I think it was extremely thoughtful of them to take the time out of their busy day to conduct this conference call and as everyone knows, there are two sides to every story.

Gloria

#60 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 06 August 2004 - 11:36 AM

Hi BronxRed,

We would like to welcome you and all the other Estee Lauder employees to the site! cool.gif

Can you share with us what the other side of the story is?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users