• Please log in to reply
103 replies to this topic

#31 Ar

Ar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 05 August 2004 - 12:24 PM

EL - if you are reading this...your arrogance is beyond belief. The grand Madam Estee Lauder is spinning in her grave. The foundation of her company was CUSTOMER SERVICE. It seems you have forgotten the basics. Not only have you been rude to individuals who are donating their time to PROMOTE Estee Lauder on a website, you are also alienating customers who spend thousands of dollars a year on your products. Where would you be without us? If we boycott EL and your profit margin drops, I bet you'll coming running to court us...
Ar

#32 2cute4u2

2cute4u2

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 05 August 2004 - 12:31 PM

First and foremost...thank you to those of you who took the time to make the conference call to EL.

I have read all the posts and agree that EL has made a HUGE PR blunder in not being more tactful and responsive to this site's concerns.

My introduction to the EL counter was the perfume solids display at the entrance to the deparment store into which I entered. My interest in the solids led me to learn more about the "profitable" cosmetics products that EL has to offer. I purchased my very first EL solid that day...Pegasus...because I liked it and also liked the fragrance. I also purchased a bottle of Intuition--because I liked Pegasus' fragrance.

I have also considered switiching over to the EL cosmetics line. However, after having read the posts about how EL execs handled our site's concerns and mal-treated our brave reps during the conference call...NO WAY WILL I BUY ANY COSMETIC PRODUCT FROM EL...EVER! There are other great cosmetics lines out there and even some..do I dare say it...that are MORE reasonably priced!

I also like the sparkling stones on the solids and am very unimpressed with this years' enamel-laced solids. I prefer to search for the older (and in MHO better made and more creative) solids.

So...EL EXECS PAY ATTENTION...I was a potential new customer for your cosmetics line and perfumes in addition to solids purchases. I also have invested a lot of money in the EL powder compacts. However...due to the way that the concerns of this collectors' group were handled (or NOT) I may never buy any EL product from an EL counter or store again.

OK...I'm stepping down from my soap box.

#33 Ann and Ken

Ann and Ken

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 05 August 2004 - 01:45 PM

Lisa -- I also have had time to "cool" a bit.

Though now maybe I don't feel as inclined to send the retail stores when THEY
Request our photos to show customers.
The Stores have to keep our photos under the counters . We are told that EL spends millions on advertising and do not like the idea of a housewife having better photos so they can't openly show the photos.

I HAVE NEVER CHARGED< BEEN GIVEN ANY SPECIAL TREATMENT <OR BEEN GIVEN ANY PERKS for our work.

Lisa's photos she put on last week of the Strongwater solids are a good example of how great photography can best show these solids.
I don't know how many people have told Ken & I that seeing our display photos have made them want to buy a solid that they were not going to buy.

And maybe I will not feel so inclinded to share what information I have when the retail stores call me asking about the new solids.

And maybe when the retail stores give their customers my number to call asking for information I may not have the" resources " to answer.

And maybe I better just stop now.

Ann

#34 lmsw1

lmsw1

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 05 August 2004 - 03:07 PM

Wow that is so disappointing. We are, like, their biggest fan club, dudes! We love the solids and we love this site.

They yelled at woody? They don't want to keep lisa informed? Gee, that's so disappointing. What can I say!

I hope they're reading this and realize this is the only site people really go to for their information, and that it's a dedicated group of collectors out here who they don't need to do very much for to keep happy. We just like to know what's going on, yes?

So sad. huh.gif ohmy.gif sad.gif

#35 cka

cka

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 05 August 2004 - 03:13 PM

To our volunteer representatives, Lisa, Ann and Woody, Thanks a million.

To Estee Lauder - Shame, shame on you!

Carolyn

#36 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 05 August 2004 - 05:17 PM

Where there's a will, there's a way.

I think in time to come (as this site is realtively young), the 'old school' of EL thought will hopefully be replaced by the 'new school'. Hopefully some young gun (or sensible mature person) will get in there and shake the foundations to keep the company moving forward.

Or maybe the 'stodgy old toads' who make the 'corporate' decisions for the better of themselves and the exclusive club instead of listening to the loud chants of the 'little people' may realise that they are making a BIG mistake when the company ends up running into itself into the ground . . . though who am I kidding? Does that EVER happen - NO - big chief execs seem to prefer to make their companies go bankrupt to admitting defeat.

So, I'm hoping that one day they employ someone with GUTS who can maintain the standards of the 'old days' and bring EL to the forefront again with service and products. They are obviously riding on past highs instead of maintaining the brilliance they once had.

Brigitte - you hit it 100% on the head. Good post!

And like Lisa said - this site doesn't need their support to run . . . .actually, they need us. While it's obvious that would just like to work in co-operation with them, they continue to say 'no' but still enjoy reading our experiences and delight with their products.

Some people are so strange!! ph34r.gif

#37 Mark

Mark

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 05 August 2004 - 05:32 PM

Bottom line is they really don't care- They are a big corporation and we in this room that collect are a what percentage of their total annual sales?? Maybe Estee Lauder herself would have shown more dignity to this conference - but who ever owns the company if its her kids or ? They probably have never had to save a weeks pay to buy an expensive collectible and pray for perfection in that item! They don't know what an every day person goes through for a passion- -The owners - CEO's are like the Enron crew that would have [edited by Jack] for a buck! They were nice enough to try and please the few in a conference- take back the info and try to make more profits for their wallets- bar non to us who suggest!
So again- Bottom line- THEY DO NOT CARE about this board or us- they will continue to make a profit whether we here buy or not! And we will continue to buy buy buy! Lets just hope they come up with some decent and beautiful designs in the future- and most of all ------affordable and quality dry.gif !!
Just my thoughts!!

Mark

#38 Denise

Denise

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 05 August 2004 - 06:40 PM

I give Lisa, Ann, and Woody much credit for doing this conference call even though the results were disappointing (I am not surprised).

I am holding back my tongue on this one except that in my opinion, Lauder DOES make a lot of money on each compact. I was told that once the mold is made, they mass produce each compact, then it gets filled with the perfume, then goes to packaging. I was told their biggest cost of producing compacts is the Packaging. The person who told me this could be wrong, and I honestly don't know what to believe.

I do know that I love the Compacts, I do not use their cosmetics, I prefer Lancome, Sisley, Borghese, and some other companies. I do buy their Clinique products on Ebay for a good friend.

Regarding a List of their Compacts, they simply can't do it! They are too disorganized not to mention that too many changes were made inside the company. I feel they were better off when the company was Family-owned (they had more control), I also heard that everything went downhill ever since they went public.

Denise

#39 P.E.Parry

P.E.Parry

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 05 August 2004 - 07:42 PM

Today I walked in to Dillards Dept Store in search of a gift for a new baby. The EL counter that has been located right inside the front door of the store - HAS BEEN MOVED TWO COUNTERS BACK! Sign says moved to a temporary location but didn't appear to be temporary. Wonder if this will happen in SAks, Neimans, Macy-Burdines, etc.? Know that a company has to wield a lot of power to be able to maintain the number one positions in these stores. Has EL lost out to a competitor? Will watch to see who reoccupies this prime location.
Phyllis

#40 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 05 August 2004 - 07:46 PM

My bet is Lancome, or they are just getting new case lines.

#41 Ann and Ken

Ann and Ken

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 05 August 2004 - 08:13 PM

One last thing and I will remain silent( maybe).

I really meant it when I said I was sorry to all of you that had sent me questions to ask. I didn't get the chance to ask some very good questions and concerns.

Some of the concerns are old( 3 years that I know about) and some were new.

My disappointment was very deep because I thought after all these years we finally had a chance to clear up a lot of stuff.

It is not in my nature to argue and that was not my intent BUT when you have the facts in black and white and you are told it is not true - What do you do.

I only and have always wanted the hobby to grow and I felt on the present course it was doomed. Can anyone spell Beanie Babies.
Collecting is a very special thing and it takes great care to protect it.

I will now collect the solids with a heavy heart .

Ann

#42 Jack

Jack

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 05 August 2004 - 08:18 PM

Just to be clear, we're not calling for any boycott, nor do I think it would do any good. We're just disappointed that Estee Lauder has decided to go out of their way to avoid giving any information to this site - and by extension to the collectors.

For example, just recently, Lisa took it upon herself to call the Jay Strongwater corporate office to try to find out a list of dates and places he would be doing signings. A representative there deferred to Estee Lauder to give out the information since the appearances were on their behalf. The Strongwater rep put Lisa in touch with an EL rep who thought it was a great idea and was going to give Lisa the list as soon as it was finished - in about a week.

A week went by so Lisa called this EL rep back, but suddenly something had changed. Apparently a higher up had told this rep not to release the information to Lisa. It was no longer a good idea. Someone at Estee Lauder had gone out of their way to make sure we didn't get the information!

There is no "lack of resources". This rep was willing and able to supply the information, but someone at EL squashed it. (On the call, an EL representative knew all about this situation. She used the excuse that they didn't want inaccurate information put up. Highly illogical since we can update information on the fly if it should change.)

I saw this quote from Daniel Annese, VP of Marketing for Estee Lauder in North America, from a late 2002 press release, I thought it was ironic:
"In developing the marketing plan for Estee Lauder's new fragrance, we looked at non-traditional media outlets, such as radio and cinema, to reach a broader, younger consumer."

Mr. Annese seems to recognize they need a younger audience. He seems to realize non-traditional outlets (like the web) are valuable. He was the one who organized the conference call. He was the one in Las Vegas who - for the first time - really seemed to care about the collectors. My question is if he is sincere about these things, who is it at Estee Lauder who is so against this site that he would go against all that?

#43 Ann and Ken

Ann and Ken

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 05 August 2004 - 08:31 PM

Jack- I agree with everything you have just said.

The same thing happened to me ( with EL)2 weeks ago. Had an OK about something -everything was fine- went up the chain and boom - Can't do it.

It is still being done by others only Ann Clark can't do it. Was told that my name was reckonized by "higher ups" so no longer could they ship to me as they had in the past.

Lisa needs to do a poll on a name change for some of us. biggrin.gif

Nor would I ever call for a boycott.

Ann

#44 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 05 August 2004 - 08:42 PM

I feel as though collecting Estee Lauder solid perfumes is a dirty little secret. The more we collect and the bigger our collections get the more we are shunned. I don't understand.

When I went to pick up my solids at Saks a couple of weeks ago I was told that some execs came into the store and specifically asked if I had come in to pick up my solids. Why do they care? I feel as though I am being watched- but for what?? I really wish I knew what I am doing wrong by having a collectors site. I have never even purchased extra solids to resell.

So where is it coming from?????

#45 Ann and Ken

Ann and Ken

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 05 August 2004 - 08:50 PM

I only get extra solids for some folks that can't get them any other way and send them to them. It is not often.
That was not the problem they are watching me for , I don't think.

We should have talked about this . I had no idea except for Woody's problem that so many of us are being watched. How in the world can they have the "resources" for this????

Anyone else out there feels they are being tracked/watched???

Maybe they found my photos under the counter. ph34r.gif ph34r.gif

Ann

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users