Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 04 August 2004 - 07:24 PM

QUOTE(Lisa @ Aug 4 2004, 03:21 PM)
Here are my "kids"
Here is a better one of my female

wink.gif Nice . . .. I only saw the Iguana at first and wanted to know it's name . . .

Nice back end of the dogs . . . . wouldn't like to be the neighbour if they love to bark!! sad.gif (I'm noise sensitive!)

However, your female dog (name?) looks so gentle when she's like that . . . but I guess she ain't really from your description of 'not so friendly'. ohmy.gif

I guess their not like Marmaduke, are they? wink.gif

#18 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 04 August 2004 - 07:48 PM

Sandra,

My Iguanas name is Rex, got him in college when someone I worked with was moving. Back then he fit in the palm of my hand. When I hold him/her (not really sure of sex actually) on my shoulder his tail reaches my ankles and I am 5'8.

My Dobies are King and Araya, the sweetest things around Jack & I but no one else. They do bark when ever anything "moves" but we don't allow them to bark outside where others can hear them and we are very good about that.

My female has a titanium canine tooth. It got knocked off as a pup but rather than pull the tooth and leave her without her tooth we opted for the root canal with titanium cap. tongue.gif

#19 dante

dante

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 05 August 2004 - 05:03 AM

Lisa, I am intrigued by your Iguana.
Does he/she just wander around your house? What does it eat? Does it bite! I am sure I could think of a 1000 more questions but this will do blink.gif blink.gif

Dante

#20 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 05 August 2004 - 12:54 PM

OK, Dante- on to more pleasant conversation!! biggrin.gif

I am more than happy to tell you about my buddy Rex (came up with the name because he looks like a dinosaur- T-rex) When Jack and I first moved to Florida from CT we had an apartment and Rex had free roam of the whole place, no cage, he ( very well could be female but to me he is a male) would follow the sun around the apartment. He was trained to poop and pee in our walk-in shower as they are stimulated by warm water. All seemed to be going well until one morning I found him paralized. We rushed him to the vet where he was given a 20% chance to live. What we didn't know was the glass in the windows filters out certain vitamins he needs to survive and over a long period it all caught up with him.

I was determined to get him back healthy and did. I had to hand feed him with a syringe nightly. This was all about 8 years ago. He now lives outside in a huge cage where he gets all the sun he needs and when we are hanging out by the pool we let him roam around the yard. The dogs do not bother him- suprisingly as he can fend for himself with a whip of his tail. We do bring him inside during storms or when it is cold- for us that is just below 70 degrees.

He eats just about anything you put in front of him, mainly green leafy vegetables, carrots apples. Although it is not good for him to have animal protein he just loves canned dog food and scrambled eggs. He will also chow down some leftover spaghetti.

He doesn't bite but does have a mouthful of razor sharp teeth. He doesn't come when called but he does know me, I sing to him every day!

#21 Petals

Petals

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 05 August 2004 - 01:07 PM

O.K here's a story about Iguanas (true not false). I will not mention the island's name in the Caribbean (where I spent a couple of years) but one of the delicacies which the locals used to hunt were Iguanas. Yes, they tried to catch them and cook them! Another delicacy was the Leatherback Turtle (it's flippers)......It used to make me cry to see how they abused these creatures. This was against the law!

OK, will copy you an excerpt which I wrote in a story I was writing, but will never finish.. It will give you more of an idea what I am talking about!

Sandra, please don't get upset all over again!

huh.gif

#22 Petals

Petals

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 05 August 2004 - 01:25 PM

''A strange light caught her eye and then another as it edged its way along the beach, its luminous glow playing tricks in the dark. Once more the poachers were on the prowl for this was the season for the turtles; March to August, their nesting time. But these were no ordinary species. These were the Giant Female Leatherbacks with some weighing up to 728 kilograms with carapace lengths of approximately 125 to 185cm returning to their place of birth to lay their eggs. And each turtle would lay between 80 and 125 white eggs, the shape of miniature golf balls, at one time. Rebecca had watched incredulously as the turtle had laboriously made its way onto the dry shore and then, with her large giant flippers, excavated the sand. Slowly she had deposited her eggs, her eyes coated with heavy mucus, giving the impression of tears. Once her eggs were laid she had then covered them with sand before dragging her tired body back to the ocean. Behind her covered in a large sandy mound, after an incubation period of 50 to seventy days, the hatchlings would emerge and, no bigger than the palm of her hand, escape to the sea. And how distressed she had been when walking along the beach to find the mutilated corpses of these wonderful creatures. The fishermen understood her distress. They had explained that there were those who liked to cook the meat and the eggs and how they tenderised it with paw paw, a local fruit, and brought out the flavour with coconut milk. Tears had come to her eyes as she had pleaded with them to stop the massacre of such sacred animals, but there was nothing they could do. And now the lights were nearer and she could hear the barking of dogs as they sensed an impending kill.

Rebecca rose from her whicker chair and placed the candle inside the house on a small wooden table. Now was not the time to hear the laughter and the noise of man assaulting and defying nature. Now was the time to retreat and in her heart accept that here was an existence, even though so very beautiful, alien and primitive to her own.'' .......

#23 2cute4u2

2cute4u2

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 05 August 2004 - 04:32 PM

QUOTE(Lisa @ Aug 4 2004, 01:24 PM)
Barb,

If you send me the photo I could attach to your post. wink.gif

Thank you Lisa. I will try to get one to you soon. BTW...neat Iguana and so thrilled to hear that you got him/her well! Good for you!

#24 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 05 August 2004 - 04:58 PM

Jacky . . . . NOOOOOOOO!!!! tongue.gif

Lisa - You sure sound like the perfect animal owner . . . . don't worry - I didn't think for a minute that you would let your dogs annoy the hell out of your neighbours . . . . wink.gif

And you sure must have shelled out for expensive dental work there for Araya! Lucky dog! They sound like they have a great existence. Do they swim?

As for Rex, he sounds like a character - glad you brought him back from the dead. We had a big fat blue tongue lizard in our back yard who liked hanging around near our garage until I got Dylan . . . . wonder where he went!?! unsure.gif

#25 Petals

Petals

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 05 August 2004 - 05:08 PM

How do you train an Iguana? I would have thought that it was impossible. And when you sing to him, how does he react?

Really fascinating!

Waiting for a picture of your doggie Barb!

#26 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 05 August 2004 - 05:22 PM

QUOTE(Jacqueline @ Aug 5 2004, 10:21 PM)
And when you sing to him, how does he react?     

And what do you sing to him? A selection of hits or do you make up songs?

I sing to my little doggie too . . . he gets embarrassed sometimes because he's like a little furry teddy bear on the outside, but thinks he's a big lion on the inside.

#27 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 05 August 2004 - 09:13 PM

Sandra,

The song I sing to Rex is something I made up and always the same. Iguanas "zone" out usually when someone or thing comes near them, they just close their eyes. But when I sing Rex closes his eyes and tips his ear toward me.

Araya's tooth was $1200!!!!

Tell Dylan my dogs say "woof"

#28 Lori B

Lori B

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 05 August 2004 - 09:38 PM

Back in my high school days, I had a friend who had an iguana, and it was potty trained - he had his own mini-potty chair (the one's you use for potty training little kids) that he actually "sat" on. I thought it was the weirdest thing in the world. It gave me a chuckle anyway.

#29 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 05 August 2004 - 09:44 PM

Mine was easy to potty train, since he didn't have a cage I would always put him in a bucket of warm water every other day and presto... then one day he walked into the wet shower and did his business. From there it was always remembering to leave the sliding door to the shower open!! laugh.gif

#30 Petals

Petals

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 05 August 2004 - 09:53 PM

These stories about Iguanas are weird! I never knew you could train one. They must have larger brains than I realised. Impossible to have one as a pet here! I used to have a budgerigar. He used to sit on my finger and take a bath under the tap. His name was Peter. We used to let him fly around the room and he would always land on my head or my father's head. He always knew not to land on anyone else's! Yes, he spoke too. Only the male budgerigars can be taught to speak (so I was told). 'Pretty Boy'' and 'Shut the door!' My father always used to remind us to shut the door!

Now this has been a walk down memory lane!

Lisa, that is not a lot of money for Araya's tooth. Here they charge 300 for a normal crown for us mere mortals!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users