• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 01 August 2004 - 12:29 AM

I am interested in knowing what everyone has as pets?

We have two 8 year old Dobermans (the non friendly kind) they are brother and sister. We also have a huge Iguana.

What about everyone else- photos please!

#2 Martha C

Martha C

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 01 August 2004 - 02:34 PM

My pet is a four-year old Bichon Frise named Charlie, who is a friendly, loving little dog. This is my favorite photo of Charlie looking out the window ...

user posted image

#3 Petals

Petals

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 01 August 2004 - 03:21 PM

Martha, that is a wonderful picture! I must send it to my brother. Before they left England for the States, they had to find a new home for their Bichon Frise.

I had a King Charles Cavalier, but sadly, he is no longer with us 'Jamie'. I had him when he was six weeks old and the next day I took him with me to the Middle East. The Stewardess' on the flight to Brussels, insisted on taking him in to meet the Captain. The next flight to Dubai, I had to keep my hand in his cardboard box (container) for most of the journey so that he would not feel insecure!

aaah......miss him!

sad.gif

#4 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 01 August 2004 - 05:00 PM

Ah - pets make the best friends, don't they ?

I have a little dog - Dylan. He is an Australian Silky Terrier, so his coat is lovely and soft. He doesn't malt and has the best nature you could ever wish for.

He has a lovely personality and is always sympathetic to your mood. He is great fun to play with and will always be my baby.

He is three now and I've had him since he was a pup. Because of his size everyone still calls him a puppy. He was easy to train and always sticks with me even off the lead.

Love him like you wouldn't believe!
user posted image

#5 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 02 August 2004 - 12:47 PM

Sandra and Martha,

Thanks for sharing your babies with us. They are both too cute!

Jacky,

Sorry to hear about the loss of your dog as I do know how heartbreaking that can be.

I will try to get a photo of my "kids" up soon, it's hard to pose them next to each other.

OK, let's hear from more members, no photo is necessary just tell us what you have. wink.gif

#6 Lori B

Lori B

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 02 August 2004 - 06:28 PM

Unfortunately I don't have any pets. If I did it would be a smaller size dog. My sister is allergic to just about all animals (and just about everything else) so we could never have her and my only nephew over if we got one, which of course was an easy decision not to get a pet. He just turned two and is at such a fun and adorable age! But, I am jealous of all of you with the cute dogs -I WANT ONE!!! Love the photos!

#7 dante

dante

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 02 August 2004 - 08:47 PM

My family also had a Cavalier - Benson or Bennydog as he was affectionately known, sadly he passed away last year, but he lived to a grand old age of seventeen.

I myself had a maltese shitzu cross COCO, who passed away unexpectedly recently - a greater loss I have never known sad.gif sad.gif If I can work out how to post a photo I will.

Dante

#8 dante

dante

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 02 August 2004 - 08:58 PM

I have added Coco's photo to the members gallery.

Dante

#9 Michele

Michele

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 02 August 2004 - 09:04 PM

I have no idea what kind of dog I had...found an ad in the newspaper one day for a puppy that needed a home. The boys and I went out to see him and he was locked in a tiny utility room of the house. No food or water, no blanket, nothing. I was horrified. He looked like a little "Benji" dog and he broke my heart, so I had to have him. The lady told me she was the 3rd owner (a 6 week old puppy - pushed around from one relative to another) and she charged me $250.00 for him. Didn't care...had to get him out of there.

It took 5 years of patience and love to get him to trust us, to calm down, to not be afraid, but Duffy turned out to be one of the best "friends" I ever had. He lived for 10 more years after that, and his loss is still felt deeply by all of us to this day. He was just a little mutt with a heart of gold, but his love was unconditional...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dante - Your Coco was a beautiful little dog...and I'm sure the years she had with you were the best! Be glad for the time you had together.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have 2 cats now...one Persian...very fussy; one stray...very low maintenance. Both are loved dearly, but they are not the same as having a dog. I think the difference is the "unconditional love" part...with a cat, you're never...quite...sure. A friend gave me a framed "saying" about the difference between cats and dogs...I'm sure you've all heard it, but, here it is again...

"A dog will come to you when he is called....A cat will take a message and get back to you!" It's so true. smile.gif

#10 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 02 August 2004 - 10:24 PM

sad.gif sniff . . . . sad.gif

All these sad doggie stories . . . . I don't want to think about being without Dylan!!

C'mon - cheer me up with some pet stories of whom are still with us!

#11 Michele

Michele

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 02 August 2004 - 10:33 PM

sad.gif Don't cry, Sandra...come on now, buck up. Ok...how about the time I was taking Duffy to the groomer, with the sunroof open in the car. Was doing about 70 mph on the expressway when he decided he wanted to get some fresh air and maybe go for a walk...out through the sunroof. So there I am, doing 70+ mph, holding on to a doggy's tail, yelling for him to "stop that and get back in this car," all the while trying to downshift, brake, and basically slow down and get off the highway! Not a lot of fun at the time..but looking back, it was funny! laugh.gif

Feel any better?

#12 Nettie

Nettie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 03 August 2004 - 12:20 AM

Hello to everyone.

We have two little Pomeranians. Tamika is 4 years old and is quite the little princess in our home, and Goldie who is 2 years old, but who we have only had for 2 weeks. My grandmother used to show her but no longer does and wanted a nice home for her. We are just so glad to have her here with us. Now we have two bundles of fluff jumping around our feet.

We just love them to bits.

We also have 3 budgies and two cocketiels. The cocketiels have their own personalities. Rocco the older of the two whistles and calls Tamika, but of course she's not stupid and totally ignores him.

Annette

#13 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 03 August 2004 - 04:43 PM

biggrin.gif Thanks guys . . . . smiling now and feeling MUCH better!! smile.gif

Keep those stories coming!!

#14 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 04 August 2004 - 10:08 AM

Here are my "kids"
user posted imageuser posted image

Sorry for the back end shot but it was the only way to get them both in the photo. They are doing what they do best- barking!!!! biggrin.gif

Here is a better one of my female:
user posted image

#15 2cute4u2

2cute4u2

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 04 August 2004 - 12:11 PM

I have a dog that is a pound rescue. I adopted him in 2001 because I had to have my red and white purebred husky put to sleep the weekend that I graduated with my master's degree. sad.gif I cried for days and still tear up when I think of this husky that I raised from 6-weeks.

So, I got to the point in my grief where I couldn't be without a dog because I walk nightly and missed my dog. So, off to the local pound I went after finding my new dog online. He was about 2 years old when I got him and he's turned out to be a great family dog and wonderful companion for me. He loves the kids and to play catch with tennis balls. He also cuddles--and that's cool for a 70-lb dog to do! I think that he is a german shepherd/akita mix or perhaps german shepherd/husky mix. My brother-in-law, who is an expert on dogs, told me that this is one of the best dogs he's ever seen---purebred or mixed breed. I am thankful for my new companion! biggrin.gif

If someone tells me how to post a photo, I will do so of my precious pal.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users