• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#16 Jack

Jack

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 31 July 2004 - 06:36 PM

Sure! May as well start up a new topic for this one! I have a feeling there will be a lot of different ideas!

#17 Denise

Denise

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 01 August 2004 - 08:48 AM

Welcome Gigi!

Wow, you have been collecting Solids since 1988, you must have a beautiful collection.

Brigitte, thanks for explaining the "Down Under", I never understood the "expression" either. I thought they called it "down under" because of all the outback land. biggrin.gif laugh.gif biggrin.gif Duhhhh!!!

Denise

#18 Gigi

Gigi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 02 August 2004 - 12:55 PM

Denise-
Thank you very much for what you posted. My collection is always on-going with a new treasure to buy and add on. I'm sure many people here can relate to this! wink.gif However, it should be pointed out I know many of you have various solids in your own collections I do not have in mine. I look at this as being a very good thing because that makes each of our own collections special, very unique and very good for this hobby we have as a whole.

Have a nice week Denise and everyone else.

Gigi

#19 Joni

Joni

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 02 August 2004 - 02:10 PM

Hi Gigi!

I was like you. I was a guest here for a couple of years and finally joined in March. I think this is a wonderful website and love reading all the posts and I've gotten alot of information here. I have been collecting for about 10 years. My mother started giving me and my 2 sisters one solid each Christmas and I fell in love with them and my collection grew from there. I can hardly wait to buy the Strongwater solids - they are absolutely gorgeous. I wasn't going to buy the pampered kitty until I saw Lisa's photos - beautiful!

So welcome!
Joni smile.gif

#20 mimi

mimi

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 534 posts

Posted 02 August 2004 - 03:14 PM

Welcome Gigi and All New Members,

We are just delighted to have you join us. biggrin.gif We all have great passion for our solid collections.

I am a native Texas and I love my "Texas Roots". I suppose that is why my "Texas Collection" means the most to me.

I'm looking forward to your posts and photos. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Happiness to all of you......

Mimi wub.gif wub.gif wub.gif

#21 lmsw1

lmsw1

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 03 August 2004 - 10:32 AM

Hi Gigi and welcome !!! rolleyes.gif biggrin.gif wink.gif laugh.gif

#22 Gigi

Gigi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 03 August 2004 - 09:38 PM

Thank you very much Joni, Mimi and imsw1 for what you all said. I feel very blessed and touched by your and everyone else's post on this topic. Hopefully all of the other new members who have joined recently feel the same way I do. A heartfelt thank you.

Gigi

#23 Petals

Petals

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 07 August 2004 - 03:36 AM

Hello Everyone! I just had to post this as it has been on my mind recently regarding some of the new members.

I find it very strange that we have had alot of new members who cannot even find it in themselves to post the COUNTRY where they are from.

My point is this: WHY become a member if you cannot even post at least one point of reference?

It is like communicating with a BLANK SPACE........a non-identity! ph34r.gif

I realise that some members would rather stay in the background, so to speak, but surely a little information 'could be' mandatory? Even if that information was kept to the Moderators of the site. I cannot think of one Club or Organisation which would allow membership without at least some sort of reference.

Would really love to hear more on this subject???? Am I being unreasonable with my thoughts??

I don't mind being 'shot down' on this topic!

ohmy.gif

#24 Brigitte

Brigitte

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 07 August 2004 - 07:46 AM

Hi Jacqueline,

I do agree 100% with you.
Here comes what I said before concering this:
Hi everyone,

I always was the one who said it would be nice to have a face to each name....I'd like to encourage you all to ad a pic of yourself to your profile ... then there would be no problem with confusions.
Give yourself a push (I don't know whether this is correct, I just translated the words we say in German) and ad the pics.

Brigitte

Hello everyone,

I agree with Maggie about beeing pleased that Mimi aded a pic of herself. Everyone should be obliged to ad a pic. I suggested this a long time before as I love so much seeing a face and not only a name. Mimi looks so nice and sympathetic. I also would like very much to see a members list with at least the prename, in which town they live and the e-mail address which would be accessible for members only, like the wonderful database. I know we have the possibility with the "private message", but I must admit that I often forget to check my messages. Also it would be wonderful to see how interntional we are. I think persons who don't want to expose their identity being a member of a club are strange anyway. What do you all think about that?? Am I eventually strange minded myself??

It has been a long time since I suggested that all member should have to identify themselves, at least towards Lisa & Jack, the owners of this wonderful site. At each club you want to join it is the normal way to inscribe yourself. According to my oppinion privacy is something that in any case doesn't exist anymore in this world (just think about all the spam we have in our e-mails every day). So if one hasn't to hide anything why couldn't she/he indentify her/himself when joining the club??

Brigitte

#25 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 07 August 2004 - 01:53 PM

Yes, we agree with you Jacky. We will see what we can do about making some of the information manditory like where you are from. wink.gif

#26 VEGAS LADY

VEGAS LADY

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 07 August 2004 - 02:31 PM

HI EVERYONE..... smile.gif smile.gif

BEFORE I WENT AWAY FOR A FEW DAYS IT WENT THROUGH MY MIND THAT WE HAD A LOT OF NEW MEMBERS THAT WERE NOT GIVING US MUCH INFORMATION ABOUT THEMSELVES. IT IS NICE TO KNOW WHERE PEOPLE ARE FROM AND WHAT THEIR NAME IS. I KNOW SOME PEOPLE CAN BE SHY AS I WAS AT FIRST BUT IT DOES MAKE ME SUSPICIOUS WHEN THERE IS NO NAME OR LOCATION POSTED, AFTER ALL WE HAVE ALL COME TOGETHER WITH OUR LOVE OF SOLIDS AND POWDERS.

WHEN I UPDATE MY P.C. I WILL POST A PICTURE OF MYSELF AND GIVE YOU ALL A GOOD LAUGH..... laugh.gif laugh.gif

GLAD THIS POINT WAS RAISED

REGARDS......MARGARET........

#27 Karin

Karin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 08 August 2004 - 03:00 AM

After having read the posts in this topic I added a picture for identification. I don't have any pictures of myself, if I had I would gladly share it with you. The cafÈ cup is an accurate self portrait though. There should however be a ciggarette to go with it to get the whole picture laugh.gif

Karin

#28 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 08 August 2004 - 05:50 PM

Personally I like to remain anonymous and that's why I enjoy city life where no-one knows your business or cares. That's why I have never posted a pic of myself though I have considered it. I guess I am private in this way, though I know I have shared quite a bit of my personality etc. on this site so people will feel they 'know me' and make judgements on that . . . but that's completely up to you whether you do that or not. huh.gif

I think it's interesting how people imagine another through what they read and I have many ideas about how some of you may 'look' too! biggrin.gif

Sometimes I also think 'what's the point when we may never meet, and are only acquaintances on through the site'? dry.gif

I say acquaintances because one has to be careful of confusing a real friendship with a common interest with others through the internet. I don't think I take long to get to know, but I do have trust issues with certain things. The internet is one of those things as there are many 'eyes' on the site. I wouldn't like people to know who I am before I've introduced myself, nor let my reputation preceed me.
ph34r.gif

It's a big scary place beyond the computer, and while I have made real friendships with a few people on this site, they are the only people I will entrust with further information about myself. I have plenty of friends outside this computer to share other interests and thoughts with at the moment. I like to keep this as an enjoyable past-time writing with you guys and just enjoying the moment without getting to involved in deep and meaningfuls or tangled up in a war of words like we have been at times. sad.gif

Sorry to those who aren't on the same wave length as me here, but simply justifying my position on the topic.

Go on - shoot me down!! ph34r.gif

#29 Petals

Petals

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 09 August 2004 - 12:49 PM

[I]Not going to shoot you down Sandra. smile.gif I agree with you on many points i.e. I would not feel comfortable posting a picture of myself as I feel that would take away some of the anonimity which I would prefer to keep. Collectors whom I have got to know over the time span since joining, I have no objection to sending a picture, but my point was that of just basic information.

I would like to see where the member is living, i.e. Country, their hobbies and anything relevant to their collection. I have come to know a few people on this site and enjoy and relish our sharing experiences. They ARE friends to me, even though we communicate in this form. Some I have even been lucky enough to meet.

smile.gif

#30 leefby

leefby

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 10 August 2004 - 06:33 PM

Hello to all of you. My name is Lee and I live in Australia. I am yet another member whom has visited the site regularly over the past few years. My first solid was the snowman and I now have a collection of about 40 solids or so. I tend to stick with the "theme" solids, circus, winter, ivory, and Harrods etc. I also have a small collection of mini perfume bottles and antique silver perfume funnels. Again, Hello to everyone and Have a great day!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users