• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Jack

Jack

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 25 July 2004 - 10:27 AM

If anyone has any questions, comments or suggestions about the newly posted rules, post them here.

#2 Martha C

Martha C

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 25 July 2004 - 12:53 PM

I think community guidelines are a good thing and in the end benefit all concerned. The guidelines you have posted seem reasonable and fair, to me. Thank you for doing this. smile.gif

#3 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 25 July 2004 - 03:13 PM

We are hoping they will help. wink.gif

We want this site to be a fun, informative place for everyone. biggrin.gif Thanks Martha

#4 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 25 July 2004 - 05:29 PM

Hey Jack - rule number 3, "Stay on topic" violates the female prerogative.

That is, to 'go off on a tangent' in the midst of a conversational topic when something reminds you of something else. laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

However, speaking for most of the female community (as I know there are always exceptions) we will endeavour to bear this in mind and create a new topic in the appropriate place from now on. No promises though! cool.gif

#5 Petals

Petals

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 25 July 2004 - 05:52 PM

That is very true! Easy to wander off the straight and narrow! But I have one request Jack! When friends have a little repartee on the board, please don't come down on us like a ton of bricks.

We know one another and respect one another, and if we cannot have a dig now and then, well sad.gif

unsure.gif

#6 Jack

Jack

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 25 July 2004 - 06:31 PM

Nobody is looking to censor anyone - though incredibly we have been accused of that even before the rules went up. No post here has ever been deleted or modified by us with the exception of one post with some information about a member that was requested to be removed.

One of the problems we have had recently is that some of our members aren't sure what is joking and what is serious. This makes people a bit uneasy and they don't want to post for fear of becoming a target. Maybe the jabs are best kept to emails?

Everyone is free to give their opinion, as they always have been. We just want to make sure everyone feels comfortable in doing so.

#7 Charlotte

Charlotte

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 25 July 2004 - 06:40 PM

Jack,

I perfectly agree with you.

PS. Can you can cancel one of the two messages which came out two minutes ago under the topic "Sunday dinner"? Thanks.

#8 Petals

Petals

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 25 July 2004 - 06:43 PM

Yes, that is true Jack. Looking at it from that angle I can see how it could be construed in a different light.

Thanks for answering. smile.gif

#9 Jack

Jack

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 25 July 2004 - 07:07 PM

One correction, Lisa just reminded me that we actually have had to delete two posts in the history of this site:

- One was the one with a member's personal info mentioned earlier.

- The other was one with an amazingly insensitive insult to a member.

Just wanted to make sure I posted that correction, I didn't want to get called a liar. rolleyes.gif

#10 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 25 July 2004 - 09:16 PM

Oh Jack - don't tell me you get offended with the "liar, liar, pants on fire" thing?!? laugh.gif

No, we certainly don't want any nasties on the site . . . I think it is good that you removed the posts you did and left all the others. You have been more than fair all along that way, and I respect you both for that. smile.gif

However, this is a fun and enjoyable site and I think you know when I am joking, and I know when you are so I wouldn't want to leave it to a private email if it is indeed FUNNY and I'm not having a 'jab' at you, but with you. What do you think?

Personal insults, I agree, should be BANNED!!! mad.gif

(as should be comments about vacuum cleaners in the wrong heading!! . . . . oops! That was me, wasn't it!) laugh.gif laugh.gif

#11 Jack

Jack

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 25 July 2004 - 10:11 PM

Don't get me wrong, I like a good joke as much as the next guy. (I once completely filled a co-worker's car with foam packing peanuts through his sunroof.)

The problem here is that sometimes sarcasm and joking don't come across very well in text. More importantly, we have a good number of people here who may not speak English as their primary language. Many times they don't get the kidding and see only insults.

#12 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 25 July 2004 - 10:51 PM

ohmy.gif I'm glad it wasn't my car!! laugh.gif

I won't start having a jibe (or jab) even though I'm environmentally friendly and all that foam would've ended up in the bin . . . . sad.gif

OK - I understand that things get lost in the translation . . . but ain't that what the smilies are for? wink.gif

Make no mistake, I DO see your point about nastiness and that you want it out and maybe the only way to do this is to monitor it like this and place rules on it. What a crying shame and an unfortunate quandary you're in. sad.gif

I have an idea that may help . . . is it possible to use a quote to start another topic or to use in another area? I tried to do that here, but couldn't . . . it may help, for example, KK could have quoted me and asked about the vacuum cleaner via another topic and then we wouldn't have got the whole thing so far off track! cool.gif

Well, take it easy and maybe (and hopefully) there will be peace on this site by Christmas!! wink.gif

#13 Jack

Jack

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 26 July 2004 - 10:50 PM

QUOTE(Sandra @ Jul 26 2004, 12:04 AM)
I have an idea that may help  . . . is it possible to use a quote to start another topic or to use in another area?  I tried to do that here, but couldn't . . .

No, unfortunately the quoting system doesn't work outside the original thread. You could do it manually however, by copying the text you want to quote, then starting a new thread, then pasting it as a quote.

#14 KK

KK

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 26 July 2004 - 10:53 PM

Hi Jack,
You did a great job on the site rules. They are very much appreciated. smile.gif
Thanks,
KK smile.gif

#15 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 29 July 2004 - 12:17 PM

Just a reminder to everyone-

That if you post a message and no one has posted after you please do not make another post. You may edit the first post and then add whatever you would like to say.

Thank you

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users