• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 marie5

marie5

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 13 November 2002 - 11:08 AM

I need to vent my anger somewhere. I now know if I insure something sold on [Frown] Ebay I will probably not get my money back. I received a broken black cat's meow that I won on Ebay. I emailed the seller, thinking since it was insured, I could just mail it back for a refund. The seller told me to file a claim with the Post Office. The box was not damaged at all, just the cat's ear. The Post Office says I may get fair market value since I don't have a store receipt proving its value. The Post Office has to keep the cat for evidence. I have to wait 8-12 weeks for an answer. So I am out a cat and $250 that I paid for it. I am not a happy camper.

#2 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 13 November 2002 - 11:23 AM

Marie,

Sorry to hear about that. I hope all gets settled and you get all of your money back.

Was the piece of the damaged ear in the box as well?

#3 favoritegram

favoritegram

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 13 November 2002 - 11:39 AM

Marie5, your seller was correct. It was insured with the post office not the seller. The post office will refund what you paid on Ebay for the piece + your shipping. On items over 50 it has to go through St. Louis. They will send you the money it just takes a little time. I hav never had a problem with them paying a claim unless you are out of the USA.

#4 marie5

marie5

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 13 November 2002 - 09:09 PM

It didn't sound to me like I would get all my money. The piece of the ear was in the box.

[ November 13, 2002, 10:09 PM: Message edited by: Lisa ]

#5 Ann and Ken

Ann and Ken

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 14 November 2002 - 12:19 AM

Save the piece of ear and all the wrappings and box. Also the Ebay paper work to prove what you paid for it.
When the seller sends you the paper work they have to fill out, take all that to the post office and you should have no problem getting your money back from the post office.
Will take a few weeks if it is more than $50. They will send you a check. Less than $50 they pay on the spot.
Important to save everything and make copies.
Some times the PO loses things [Smile]

Ken

#6 marie5

marie5

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 14 November 2002 - 07:19 AM

Thanks all. I feel better. I took everything to the Post Office and now it goes to the national office to determine the outcome. It will take 8 to 12 weeks. They made me copies in case they lose the paperwork.

#7 EsteeMania

EsteeMania

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 16 November 2002 - 07:25 AM

Hey Marie - I had bought an antique glass oil lamp a year ago (impossible to document its exact $ value) and by giving the post office all documents they paid every penny. I'm sure it will work out just fine. It does take a few weeks. Good Luck!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users