• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Suzanne Martin

Suzanne Martin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 November 2002 - 03:20 PM

I read with interest the comments that Lisa made about the EL wharehouse sales. We have heard about it from Donna at Bergdoff Goodman. We should not be upset with the buyers who are able to buy these solids in large quantities. However we should blame and hold the marketing department of EL accountable that allows such sales to take place if in fact they really do exist. Every collector of course dreams of having every solid mint in the box with the label and full of perfume, but we have to remember that a lot of people received a solid as a present, throw the box away, use the perfume and then happened to have the empty container. It does not render the piece less collectable however I know of several collectors who used to buy a multiple quantities of the same solid only to find out that later on they could get them for 30%less at the "Cosmetic stores) which carries all of EL products for second time around marketing, so you see there is a good chance that the solids you purchase today will end up in an outlet store and will be worth less than you paid for them now. They lie about how many are made and pushed the prices so high in order to eliminate any after market from the collectors. Where would EL be without us the collectors?! One thing for sure about prototypes there are one of a kind in the quantity of one or 2 and they will never end up in an EL discount store. I know because of the duck that is on Lisa's web site was sold to me from a lady in Florida several years ago, When I took it to a Vegas compact collection Bob Conte said he had designed and it was one of his favorites but EL rejected it because it was too masculine. The marketing team from EL was very alarmed and upset that I had this solid because it was never marketed. The truth of the matter is that no profit from this piece filled the pockets of EL. I feel that the prototypes if they can be found will always retain a higher value in collectability because of their rarity. Suzanne.

#2 Ann and Ken

Ann and Ken

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 14 November 2002 - 08:02 PM

Read with great interest your comments on the warehouse sales. Considering that for years you have been buying the prototypes and seconds and selling them to other buyers(mostly newbies)for much more than they are worth. Nothing wrong in that but to say that EL is totally at fault seems a bit unfair.

As to prototypes(samples), El was upset that you had the duck because it was never meant to be sold. Prototypes(samples) were made to show Ms. Lauder before thay decided to make it. If it was not made it became just an example not a rare EL solid. They were mostly upset that you were placing a high price on it and that you had recently purchased some the prototypes from the warehouse and sold them.

#3 Suzanne Martin

Suzanne Martin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 November 2002 - 08:55 PM

I am really astonished that you are implying that I have purchased prototypes at the EL Wharehouse for resale. It is outrageous. I have never even been to New York, I do buy solids from private individuals all over the world who offer them to me and ask for my advice. Sometimes I purchase them or trade for some I do not have. The duck I bought about 3-4 years ago from someone who used to work for EL for over 20 years. She offered it to me and asked me if I would like to purchase it which I did, and she has sold me several EL solids over the years and are in my collection. Before you jump to conclusions you should have your FACTS in order first. I have through the many years of collecting purchased thousands of EL solids and I am cleaning out the excess and keeping for myself the ones that are MIB and selling the others... Why don't you find out who is the man who has over 600 prototypes for sale..... If EL is so upset over it, why are they allowing thoses "prototypes" who were made for only Ms Lauder to see to be sold in grab bags. I have a very good reputation, and intend to keep it as such. Suzanne

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users