• Please log in to reply
100 replies to this topic

#46 Karin

Karin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 17 July 2004 - 04:30 PM

I think that Michelle is absolutely right. I am a very bitchy consumer no matter what the price is, things you buy from a store are supposed to be in mint perfect condition unless otherwise stated! I always demand a discount for loose buttons etc. even if the whole shipment of jackets are that badly sewn. It is for the store to deal with the supplier, or change supplier. It is very bad business to send out defect merchandise and most serious companies are extremly careful to avoid it. I couldn't believe my eyes when I read about this. Is it only in Sweden that for instance IKEA advertises in the newspapers asking customers to return a defect sofa or lamp? That is good PR: "we have made a mistake, please let us correct it", hoping to reach the costumer before they discover it themselves.
Karin

#47 Ann and Ken

Ann and Ken

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 17 July 2004 - 04:40 PM

We have" recall " here also but is usually about childrens toys or anything that could hurt a child.

And cars.
Bad food.

Come to think of it just about anything but it has to be harmful.

One of our highest class stores( Neiman Marcus ) would never discount a EL product if something is wrong with it . They just send it back to EL and give you a new one.
And since they (NM)allow you to return anything for 3 months after you get it they feel they are doing a great service. Some stores do not allow returns.

Ann

#48 Michele

Michele

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 17 July 2004 - 04:45 PM

You don't use EL cosmetics? Then what the heck do you use, because you looked pretty d*&* good in LV! God, I use so much cream at night I slide off the bed regularly...it's horrible! Throw in silk sheets and I'd be in traction!

And no...I don't buy them for resale. Yes, sometimes I buy duplicates. But then I know a collector who buys 3 of everyone....one to display; one to keep safely in a box; and one just in case it jumps in value over the years. (Her house smells kind of funky.) So buying two of the one's you love (the Cat; the Lily) is not unusual. And if I feel like it somewhere down the road, I'll sell one...maybe. But this time, I'm just grateful I managed to get one piece that's perfect...the Cat in the Chair...and have been mentally putting together an arrangement of all my kitties...This one is SO special...Martha...hope you get an excellent one as it's just priceless!

Thanks, Karin...it would be best, as Ann suggested, to wait a little while before ordering any Strongwater's. They have a lot of "bugs" to be worked out, if they even plan on trying to do that. I do hope someone from Strongwater sits down this weekend and goes over this topic. And I'm afraid I'm also a tiny bit bitchy as a consumer. I know...that's hard for you all to believe. laugh.gif

Ann...are you and Ken singlehandedly going to actually clean up a warehouse. Could you please explain that a little better (sleepy brain here). And why, pray tell, is Ken doing all the yard work alone? There's still some light...out with you and yank some weeds. I wish I had some to pull...it would have made me feel better today.

Now that's enough...I'm shutting down...literally!

'nite all...

#49 Ann and Ken

Ann and Ken

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 17 July 2004 - 05:04 PM

No we are not singlehandedly cleaning up the warehouse and other problems . A lot of good people are working on trying to make things better. biggrin.gif

My help with the yard is getting him started. laugh.gif laugh.gif I did suggest what leaves to trim on the palm tree .
Tomorrow we are washing the sidewalks.

Ann

#50 Brigitte

Brigitte

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 17 July 2004 - 05:09 PM

Ann,

I don't have to pay taxes or VAT on the solids when I buy it, but the store that sends them to me has to fill in a cutomers declaration and they normally are obliged by their management to declare the full price. When the packages get here to Switzerland the customs check the declaration and have you pay a 7,6% tax on the declared value. A value of about $45.00 is free if the package was sent by a private person and you declare it as a gift. Strange enough they also add the price of the shipping fees to the declared value of the item....only heaven knows why. When a package is sent by a private person of course one could or can cheat a little bit with the declaration, but fact is that we collectors normally also want the original price tag still to be attched and then they would see how much one paid for it. Yes, one can try to say that the items have their price tag but were bought with a big discount and if one wasn't too greedy and only declared about 10% of the real value that would be o.k. But I must admit I had problems with the customs a couple of times and believe me this isn't funny at all. The best way according to my opinion is to declare about 30% less if possible when you have them sent by a shop (if they would do it).
Brigitte

#51 Denise

Denise

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 17 July 2004 - 05:15 PM

Hi everyone,

I just called my Saks Rep. (which is a 5 minute drive from my house) and asked if the Strongwaters were in yet. They were not, and I told my Saks Rep. the problems that I have read on the Site. She is putting a call into EL in Manhattan on Monday to investigate.

She also explained to me that Jay Strongwater must okay his Compacts and once he okay's them, then they are sent to get filled with the Solid Perfume and get packaged. I asked her if it was possible that during the filling process, if the compacts could get damaged, and she said "of course". She is going to relay everything we talked about to EL in Manhattan and if need be, they will pull these Compacts so they can not be shipped or sold.

So if anyone gets a "damaged" Strongwater, just return it and relax. All will be taken care of.

Brigitte, when the Strongwaters arrive by me, I always check them out in person before I buy them. So if you want to buy from my Saks, just let me know.

#52 Petals

Petals

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 17 July 2004 - 05:18 PM

Yes Michele, I can imagine how you must have felt on opening the package! I too would have gone through the roof.

The Cameo from a new solid fell off, and I blew a gasket! Then when I enquired about returning it, I was told I had to send it somewhere else. So, to start packaging and posting and writing letters........UGH! Would have thought the store would take it back and do the necessary ........no such luck!

So, have a good night's sleep. Don't start dreaming about chopping off heads....

goodnight Michele......that was alot of work!

wink.gif

#53 Jack

Jack

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 17 July 2004 - 06:24 PM

I had to add my $0.02 here regarding Mr. Strongwater. I think he is committed to quality and I really don't think he is the type to knowingly put out sub-par pieces with his name on them. If there is some kind of manufacturing problem I'm sure he will be the first one picking up the phone to complain about it.

Everything he has ever produced that I have seen has been impeccable down to the last detail. His work is expensive, and well worth it in my opinion. Let's not string the man up over a few solids that may not even be representative of the production run.

OK, there is a problem with a few pieces and it has been documented here. Now let's see if there are many others with the same issues. If there are, then let's see how it all is handled.

#54 Ann and Ken

Ann and Ken

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 17 July 2004 - 06:42 PM

Thanks Jack. wub.gif

Did you trade in your wings for a white horse???

Ann
Also a Strongwater fan

wub.gif wub.gif wub.gif

#55 Michele

Michele

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 17 July 2004 - 06:59 PM

Hi Jack -

I agree, wholeheartedly. However, I do believe he has possibly lost touch with the manufacturing end of it and is too busy promoting himself and his name. It's time to get back to basics...that's the important issue here. No one is "stringing him up," believe me. My biggest issue is, of course, how could he have signed the Vase when in fact it was in such bad condition? I realize Ann's answer covered a multitude of reasons (would have signed anything...) but that just doesn't cut it, as I've seen him sign...slowly and carefully. Different pens for different materials...very focused...

As far as his other work, I love most of it...especially the frames. And the little animals...ok, and a soap dish....alright, so I have a perfume bottle! laugh.gif

Now...back to sleep....I'll dream that everyone receives perfect solids next week! biggrin.gif That's what I want to hear...

#56 Denise

Denise

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 17 July 2004 - 07:02 PM

Jack,

Glad you put your $0.02 Cents in (is that all inflation went up biggrin.gif ), I totally agree as Jay Strongwater does take much pride in all his work.

As you said, let's see what happens, I am sure it will all be good smile.gif smile.gif

#57 Ann and Ken

Ann and Ken

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 17 July 2004 - 07:05 PM

Michele-- you just won't let me have the last word will you . laugh.gif laugh.gif

Ann wub.gif

#58 Michele

Michele

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 17 July 2004 - 07:33 PM

Not in this lifetime! laugh.gif laugh.gif

#59 loveperfume

loveperfume

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 17 July 2004 - 08:05 PM

I just talked to Rosalva in Vegas a little bit ago and she will be checking the solids before they go out. I'm sure they will be okay. Can't wait to get them as the designs are really pretty.

Ann, you make me laugh. Are you helping Ken wash the sidewalks or just supervising? laugh.gif

#60 Ann and Ken

Ann and Ken

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 17 July 2004 - 09:05 PM

Washing sidewalks and the house is a big deal here as you know Pat.

Ken started the patio tonight and I got a real nice seat IN THE HOUSE at the window so I could cheer him on. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

For those of you lucky enough not to know about washing sidewalks--
Every year sometimes twice a year you have to rent a big power pressure washer and I mean big , to clean the mold and mildew off of everything outside. Especially anything concrete.

Ann

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users