13 replies to this topic

#1 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 24 July 2002 - 09:44 PM

Hello Everyone,

I just wanted to see if any of you other collectors know about the warehouse sale that Estee Lauder holds a couple times a year.

Before I started this topic I wanted to be sure of the information and I did get confirmation from 2 people before I posted.

From what I found out Estee Lauder has a warehouse sale four times a year, twice in New York and twice in Canada. This past June being the most recent. According to the information I have, attendees must have a ticket to get in and tickets are only given to employees and their guests, not the general public.

At this sale empty solid perfume compacts were sold in large quantities and from what I have heard they are deeply discounted. I also understand that there was no limit on the amount of solids that one could purchase and that prototypes were also sold. One seller on eBay I contacted via email claims to have a box containing over 600 solids to sell.

It appears that people who purchased the solids at these sales are making a small fortune on us collectors who weren't aware of such a warehouse sale.

I emailed a VP of Estee Lauder to ask him about these sales but have had no reply so far.

What do you think about the apparent bulk sales of solids at these warehouse sales? I'm interested to hear everyone's opinions on this subject.

#2 EsteeMania

EsteeMania

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 24 July 2002 - 10:15 PM

Hey Lisa.....I guess that is a good reason not to buy empty Estees! Thanks for the info & can you get me into the next sale? KIDDING

[ July 24, 2002, 11:09 PM: Message edited by: EsteeMania ]

#3 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 24 July 2002 - 10:18 PM

I can't even get myself in the next sale! [Roll Eyes]

#4 Sylvia Ray

Sylvia Ray

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 25 July 2002 - 05:14 PM

Is this where all the empty solids on ebay have come from recently? They all seem to show up around the same time.

#5 Nata

Nata

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 25 July 2002 - 09:04 PM

yes, I seen one guy (I think ebay name boubla) was selling some nice empty compacts. Some people are lucky to get on such events.

#6 luscious11@aol.com

luscious11@aol.com

Pamela

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 26 July 2002 - 01:04 AM

Hi everyone:
In response to Lisa's letter regarding these warehouse sales: How sad that this has to go on just for the money. What happened to the company making just a limited amount of these different solids and telling the customer that once they are gone that is it? And now they are selling empty solids and the prototypes as well?? That just effects the collectability of all of our solids out there - pretty soon the solids we have are not going to be that valuable. That is if people keep buying empty solids and prototypes!!!! Why would someone out there want an empty solid for anyway???? I want one that is full, unused, boxed and in perfect condition for my collection. The exception to this would be an older one but in excellent condition-it is exciting to try and find older ones in such great shape and even with the original box!!! I thought that was what collecting was all about..come on girls...don't bring down the value of all of our solids that we have collected for so many years by buying the empty ones just so you can say you have one. To me it is not a solid if it does not have the solid in it!!!! These people who have the so called inside scoop on what the company is doing with these empties and prototypes are just making the company richer and you are not even getting the complete product in return!!
Recently I have been planning on selling my entire collection - and I have received emails from many of you with interest in purchasing. After hearing what has been going on lately, I am going to hold off a bit and think it over a little more. I have always loved collecting estee lauder solids and powders as I spent some time working for the company. I feel really sad that some of the actions of a few people end up spoiling the fun for the rest of us. I realize that there are quite a few of you who have worked for lauder as well and I am sure you enjoyed the experience as much as I did. We all know that lauder did not expect these compacts to end up being such a big hit with collectors as it has - but let's not forget that collecting is supposed to be a fun, enjoyable pastime and I am sure that lauder is making enough money off of all of us that we don't need to buy empty solid compacts or empty powder compacts to achieve the thrill of collecting!
I certainly hope that I have not offended anyone by stating my opinion; if so then I apologize. I would just love to see our collections that we all have increase in value over time and I don't believe they will if what is going on continues.....
Thanks for listening and have a great weekend.
I welcome any responses from you.

Regards, Pamela luscious11@aol.com

#7 solidcollector

solidcollector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 26 July 2002 - 10:27 PM

Hi,
I agree with you, Pamela! I guess I'm a big dummy though! I have been looking for the Beautiful To Boot (red, white and blue version) for a long time........and bought one with the perfume and label (no box) a couple of weeks ago on ebay and paid over $350 for it. Then I saw another one on Ebay that Boubala was offering for $250 on a "Buy it now" and thought it was a bargain! I didn't really think about it not having perfume or label, I just jumped on it and bid! It really makes me sick now that I have read what Lisa had to say about sellers getting them so cheap and in such large quantities. I guess I didn't get such a great deal the second time around after all! That will be the last solid of that kind (no perfume or label) that I will purchase. I do not want to support something that will eventually cause the newer solids to lose their value!! I also wanted to say that Boubala is a woman. She is very prompt and very kind to deal with through Ebay. I, too, apologize if I offended anyone, but I just had to express my opinion also!
Thanks!

#8 2Sweet

2Sweet

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 03 August 2002 - 08:14 AM

An Account Executive for Estee Lauder had told me that the solids do not lose their value if it doesn't have the perfume in it. I can live with that...I have enjoyed my solid collections with or without the perfume and you know that I am not going to rub the solid perfume on me from a solid that is 60 years old!! EEEKKK [Eek!]

#9 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 11 November 2002 - 11:16 AM

I believe that Estee lauder just had one of these warehouse sales last week- there are a lot of solids on ebay without boxes and perfume and if you notice the sellers are all located in the New York area.

#10 Ann and Ken

Ann and Ken

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 11 November 2002 - 03:50 PM

At least they are not advertised as RARE. [Big Grin]
Ann

#11 luscious11@aol.com

luscious11@aol.com

Pamela

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 11 November 2002 - 06:29 PM

Hi everyone:

Whatever!!!!! My son is a pen collector ( Mt. Blanc Collector Series) and gave me his opinion: Let them buy empty solids with no box, etc.... if they want...It should just increase the value of the ones that are full w/original boxes,etc....Maybe he has a point???? Whoever wants to collect empties or prototypes, God Bless Them......All I know is my collection will not include empty perfume solids. That is not a solid collection to me. It is a container collection!!!! You know the people who collect perfume bottles? Do they collect them empty or full? Are they worth more empty or full? I don't know for sure but maybe something to ponder. I feel better knowing that my collection is full, unused, with original boxes when possible. Of course, you have the older ones that may not have their original parts and that is fine. There's something about a beautiful perfume solid that has been taken care of and handled with love!!!
Sorry, for rambling!!!!

Have a great night!
Regards, Pamela

#12 Efen46

Efen46

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 November 2002 - 02:38 PM

Well I guess I am on the other side of the coin,
Where I am you were only able to get empty solids and I too live in NE. but certainly not from a Estee wharehouse sale. It doesn't matter to me if it has solids or not, I like the presentation of the compact, not for whats inside.
I guess it goes by the collectors taste, I have sold a few on Ebay but I still keep the ones that I love and I if I see one that catches my eye I will get it and add to my collection perfume or not.
Depends on what kind of collector you are, Some like the solid others just the compact
Just my opinion [Smile]

#13 luscious11@aol.com

luscious11@aol.com

Pamela

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 12 November 2002 - 10:05 PM

Hi Efen46!!!

You are right - everyone has their own taste and desires!! I also agree that the presentation of the compact is also very important - Perhaps there are as many collectors out there who collect the empties as well as the full ones!!! Have a great night!!

Pamela

#14 favoritegram

favoritegram

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 12 November 2002 - 11:29 PM

I buy them new with the perfume but If I could buy them empty it would be ok as I am extremely allergic to the smell of most perfume anyway, LOl. Great for a perfume bottle collector, HUH
Lainey

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users