• Please log in to reply
105 replies to this topic

#61 Nancy

Nancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 13 July 2004 - 01:53 PM

Hello Erica, I think your picture is wonderful, how many bottles are there?

To any new or old members who have been afraid of posting, don't.(be afraid I mean, not don't post!) I know I was, and I had to wait until someone, anyone asked the question I wanted the answer to. Also, sometimes someone would ask a question and I'd say, "oh yes, I wondered that too"
Ages ago Lisa asked all the members to say who they were and where they were from. I think it's amazing there are so many members from so far afield now and it's interesting to hear the problems others have trying to collect. I moan because we don't have the same selection they have in the US but we have a better chance than those collectors in Australia. If it wasn't for people talking here we wouldn't know so much about solids or where to get them, which ones to avoid (bad sellers and bad solids).
Keep posting and keep asking questions, that way we all learn.

#62 Ann and Ken

Ann and Ken

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 13 July 2004 - 02:00 PM

Love the bottles wub.gif wub.gif

I feel a new arrangment coming on. biggrin.gif My little minis have been neglected.

I don't know about the rest of you but I keep forgetting to look at the members photo section. Sorry everyone I haven't said anything about your photos , they are all wonderful and I need to do a better job of saying so.

Ann

#63 Charlotte

Charlotte

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 13 July 2004 - 07:18 PM

Hello to all of you,

Yes, you are right.

Iím one of those who does not write much more (in fact as soon as I received a notice from Lisa to become member of her site on April 2002, I subscribed immediately and I must say Iíve found here a lot of friends: Lisa, Jacky, Woody, Martha and so on), but in spite of this I posted only 180 even being member N? 24? and sometimes I visit the Lisa site without writing.

This for two reasons, first of all because my English dictionary is very poor so I cannot write immediately on line, I have to prepare it without being connected and secondly because I donít like very much to write and this is valid also in my language. Is it grave? My husband say yes, it is.

Can you forgive me?

When I subscribed I had only 19 solids, now I have 69ÖÖ

However I think to have improved my English thanks to Jacky and also reading your posts and even if I donít understand every words I try to catch the meaning.

Martha,

finally, as I told you, Iíve got (not really bought because itís a present from my husband for our 25 years anniversary marriage) a new digital camera (Olympus Camedia C-60 zoom) but now Iíve to learn how to use it and it seems quite difficult!! Iíll try to use it during my next holidays on the mountains and Iíll let you know the results.

My warmest hallo to all of you,

Charlotte

#64 mimi

mimi

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 534 posts

Posted 13 July 2004 - 11:53 PM

Hello and Welcome to Our New Members!!

We are so pleased to have you join us and look forward to your posts. As I have said before, we have a lot of fun and the greatest learning experiences here. I am eternally grateful to all of our members. Ann and Ken delight our eyes with their gorgeous displays, dear Liliane, patiently teaching me about the intricacies of collecting, Jackie and Martha making me alternately "laugh" and "shiver" with their wonderful tales, Michele, with her fantastic computer skills, K.K., my photography and "vitrine hanging" mentor ( yes! I got it up and it is still standing Yippee)...Woody's great kindness.....Nancy's concern and love for all of us...Sandra's great wit and downright sweetness.....Lisa, Jack for all you bring to the site......Brigitte, sharing your beautiful collection with all of us through your website......Now, I know I'm forgetting people and I don't mean to....so please forgive. I love you all!! What I am attempting to say so poorly in this humongous run-on sentence, to all of you new members is....if you have one solid or 1000 (wishful thinking, right?) YOU ARE IN THE RIGHT PLACE! So come join the fun!

Charlotte... I hope you enjoy your Camedia as much as I have. I have a D-550 and it's just great!

I have "held court" long enough . As my Uncle Leroy...best Baker in Red River County would have said......"Sue-Baby, get off the podium and let somebody ELSE talk!!"

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif tongue.gif

Mimi

#65 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 14 July 2004 - 06:53 AM

Aw gosh Mimi - you shouldn't have . . . all that praise makes me blush . . . I've gone all shy now. And it's hard to have wit without someone to be the 'straight guy'. Yes - it's nice to see the site 'alive' again . . . though once you start naming names, people will undoubtedly get left out . . .

There's so many I appreciate too, but I'd like to see a few more 'Aussie' posts (though I do accept Don and Margaret as 'honourary' Australian citizens) as they do occassionally wave the Aussie flag for me /us.

Charlotte - there's no shame in English as a second language - I REALLY admire people who can speak, read and write more than one language!! I'm sure NO-ONE would be worrying about what you think is a lack of English writing skills! You are able to get your point across and that's all that matters! (Anyway, your spelling is a lot better than Michele's!)

And we mustn't forget all the great translations that have been offered in light of all the German posts that happened . . . I can make out a little of it, but it's nice to have it fully translated - again, I really do appreciate the 'gifts' (for want of a better word) of many of the international members . . .

And I enjoy the 'slang' words that come around once in a while too.

eg. Where would we be without being GOBSMACKED every once in a while?

#66 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 14 July 2004 - 07:11 AM

Actually, I'll tell you an interesting piece of research I just did that had me gobsmacked today . . . there are approximately 34 pages of members on this site. smile.gif

There are 15 pages of members who have never posted (44%) and 8 pages of members who have posted less than 10 times (23.5%) !! ohmy.gif

So that leaves only about 33% 'friendly' members. sad.gif

C'mon!! I've seen a lot of the 'non-posters' on Ebay and I know you can't all be THAT shy!! It'd be good to know where people are from (in terms of country) and to at least get an understanding of what's going on in other countries . . .

I hope we can turn it all around and at least share some cultural interests and differences in the future.

OK - your turn!

#67 Charlotte

Charlotte

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 14 July 2004 - 11:14 AM

Sandra,

you are too kind with me, thanks.

I'll try to write a little more before leaving for the mountains holidays.

Charlotte

#68 Charlotte

Charlotte

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 14 July 2004 - 11:19 AM

Mimi,

do you think it's very difficult using that Olympus camera?

I like very much to take photos of animals, birds and flowers very near (macro?) as well as to people, but shall I succeed to do it?

Should I take something worthwhile I'll send it to Lisa for showing it.

Charlotte

#69 Mark

Mark

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 14 July 2004 - 12:37 PM

Hi everyone,
It's the notorious Mark here- a realitively new member- I read this site daily to learn whats new and what is about to be new- if it wasn't for this site- I would be in the dark about a lot of the perfumes out there.-
I have written in the past and kinda got chewed out royally for posting - cause I sold 2 of my lesser adored solids to pay for my redone FANTASTIC looking front yard. So I stayed back from posting - Maybe that is why some of the newer members do not comment- You guys in this site are NOT shy about expressing your feelings!!
I started collecting a few years ago by finding an older EL at the thrift store- I sold it on ebay and a lady from New York wrote to me re: that solid and said if I wanted to see some great ones go to Vegas at the EL store- So=- off I went to Vegas- what a trip- My 1st newer solid I bought was the Dragon- What a awesome piece- Now I have ove 100 newer pieces and about 25 of the older ones- It has been a great experience watching and learning from this site- I couldn't get to Vegas to the convention this year as I am a teacher and My last day of school is the end of June- Next year I am gonna try and make it somehow or other??
I hope you all well and will chat again soon with ya'all!!

lil' ol' me

Mark

#70 mimi

mimi

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 534 posts

Posted 14 July 2004 - 01:10 PM

Hi Charlotte,

I think you will love your Camera. I am not good with photograpy....but this makes it so simple. If I can do it ,anyone can. I will post a few photos that I took on our Gallery for you to see. I'm getting better with experience, thanks to K.K.'s encouragement. Looking forward to seeing your photos.

Mark,

What subject(s) do you teach? So glad to hear from you!!

Best to everyone......

Mimi

#71 Petals

Petals

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,902 posts

Posted 14 July 2004 - 01:27 PM

Hello Mark, I remember your debut very well! I also remember saying I would send you a picture of a Japanese Garden in Regents Park, which I am sure you would appreciate. However, can we possible have a picture of yours (garden)? I recall your selling some pretty good, wanted solids to finish it, and would really love to have a peek!

Mimi your kindness is endless. Sandra, don't be too hard on Michele. She loves to wind you up! As for your straight guy.........I shall be back with you soon, so don't get too laid back.

Charlotte, your English has always been excellent. Yes Sandra it amazes me how Erica and Charlotte, Brigitte, and on, and on........speak and write English as well as their own mother tongue....

Well that's enough from me......am getting back to the serious stuff soon........Martha, Sandra, Ron, Denise...... ph34r.gif unless you decide to post first!

smile.gif smile.gif

#72 Mark

Mark

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 14 July 2004 - 02:49 PM

Hi Mimi-
Thanx for asking about my teaching- I am an Adult Education teacher with a credential in handicapped and older adults- I teach Art Appreciation- Nature- Current Events and Senior Tai Chi to Seniors in convelescant homes- retirement homes and adult day care facilities- I teach 4 classes per day at 4 different places- with a weekly student count of about 750 students. I have been doing it for 10 years and love it!! Prior to that I taught Developmentally Disabled Adults food service skills for mainstreaming into society for 7 years. Today a lot of my students wear EL perfumes and I tell them what they are wearing and they love it- So it helps make may day sweeter!
My yard is done and it is gorgeous- I have pix but not sure how to get them loaded into this site- so if you want a private preview- email me and I can send some-
I am on a board of directors for a youth group and in October I will be chairing a garden tea tour and my yard will be the 1st on the tour- It was 3 years ago and my yard was an English Garden- now it is an Italian Pallazzo with a wrought Iron Gazebo in the middle with vines on it- I need to relax!
Anyway- Thanx again for asking

Mark

#73 Denise

Denise

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 14 July 2004 - 03:04 PM

Hello Annette, Laurie, Aoide, Lolly and all the Members!!

I have been really busy, so I have to make this short. Just wanted to welcome the new Members, say hello to the "older" Members.

Erica, I also love your Picture with the Perfume Bottles, it's just beautiful. Please take more as I enjoy them.

Charlotte, your English is wonderful! It amazes me to talk to people from all over the World, and I wish that I spoke a Second Language (too bad I didn't practice my French that I took in School). As they say, if you don't use it, you lose it.
blink.gif

Mimi, I also have an older version of the Camedia that came with Adobe Photoshop and I love it! If you need any help, let me know, I enjoy helping others....

Mark, will you send me a Picture of your Landscaping as it sounds very beautiful? I have a Brown Thumb and I am having a difficult time redoing the front of my house. Think I will just Mulch most of the front...... cool.gif

Sandra, when will you stop getting Gobsmacked? rolleyes.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Denise

#74 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 14 July 2004 - 03:04 PM

Mark,

Your backyard sounds wonderful. biggrin.gif

Look at this giant I found in my backyard today ohmy.gif
user posted image

Mark, if you send me a photo I could attach it to your post if you would like.

#75 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 14 July 2004 - 03:07 PM

*Note the long nails*see why I like the magnetic closures better!!! laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users