• Please log in to reply
105 replies to this topic

#16 Karin

Karin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 12 July 2004 - 03:44 AM

I bought my first solid only this christmas, it was the Venetian fan. And already the next day I was back in the store to get the Rollicking roller coaster. And then I think it took me two days to come back again and buy the Flower blossom and the Magnificent marlin. Talk about love at first sight. Luckily I had received a substantial amount of money for quitting a job, don't know what the term is in English for compensation for loss of job. It is supposed to compensate the income loss but it all went to solids instead. I got a new job within a month so I am not bankrupt, but it is very unlike me to spend money as thoughtless as that.
Greyhound, the only depressing about the Cure is that Robert Smith only knows how to sing one song... I prefer Bauhaus, where depression goes over into pure desperation.
Karin

#17 Michele

Michele

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 12 July 2004 - 07:20 AM

Greyhound....what other issues are you upset about? If we don't know, we can't help. Talk to us. You might be pleasantly surprised to find the answer you are looking for. smile.gif

#18 Michele

Michele

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 12 July 2004 - 07:26 AM

Karin....Wow....you picked a heck of a time to fall in love with solids. Talk about poor timing! ohmy.gif The term in English is "unemployed" as in the "Golden Handshake." Thankfully, you found another job within a month and can now go deeply into debt like the rest of us! Sort of gives one a warm and fuzzy feeling to be like all the others...a family of poverty-stricken solid collectors! laugh.gif Hey, it's worth it! wink.gif You made some great choices to start out....

#19 Karin

Karin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 12 July 2004 - 07:41 AM

Michele, I am only to familiar with the term unemployed... The word I was looking for is for the money compensation you sometimes get when you are sacked. In Swedish it is such a fancy word I canĄt even make a rough translation.
Greyhound, I hope you don't take my thoughts about the Cure the wrong way. I know very well what Cure-fans are like, that is why it is so fun to go on about Bauhaus instead... Though perhaps you are not as fanatic about the Cure as most of my friends are.
Greetings from a rainy, cold, windy, typical Swedish summer weather Stockholm
Karin

#20 Michele

Michele

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 12 July 2004 - 08:13 AM

Hi Karin -

I think the word(s) we use here would be "severence pay," as in cut off, done, finished. And that's only if you're LUCKY enough to know in advance. Otherwise, they just show you the door.

Speaking of "severence pay," that's what I'll be holding if I don't get off this computer...I'm supposed to be working. This is work, isn't it??? laugh.gif

It's wet and rainy here, too...but humid...very bad hair day, indeed. Frizzy, frizzy, frizzy.... blink.gif

Have a good one!

#21 Michele

Michele

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 12 July 2004 - 08:19 AM

Lisa - Can't Sandra and I tease each other anymore? No more insults, however veiled??? Pleeeeeeeease don't say no.............

#22 Petals

Petals

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 12 July 2004 - 08:37 AM

Thank you for making me laugh this morning Michele.... Sandra, watch out...and Lisa, please do not get upset. I rib one or two people (maybe more) but if there is a slight conflict or dispute, it normally ends up being sorted out privately..

Greyhound, I do hope I have answered all your questions! If not, please remind me. So much has been going on and at times I am not sure if I am Martha or Arthur! (Martha, this is an English expression)!

To the new members, a big WELCOME. We always enjoy new blood, but that doesn't turn us into Draculas. Aaha, maybe a story coming there!

Regarding one solid per year, I think I would opt for at least one of the Harrods Limited solids and try, (very hard) for say a Strongwater..... Matter of choice. The bears are good to collect. But once you have one, you will be trying to find others.....I unfortunately haven't Rodney but that was in my early days when I gave him up! Now I make sure to buy more than one (the second to keep for a rainy day.......AND we have been having alot of those lately in this part of the world)!

Karin, I think the word you are looking for is Redundancy Pay.

It seems that Martha hit a cord with her posting and I am really so pleased to read the response. And Lisa, thank you once again for all your hard work (and Jack) and allowing us to express ourselves especially over the past couple of weeks.

It is so good to see 'our friends' and Greyhound, never feel intimidated to remind someone or put your point of view. Bark whenever!

Denise, where are you?

smile.gif

#23 Jack

Jack

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 12 July 2004 - 09:04 AM

Good points! "Non-Lauder Solids Talk" has turned into something different than it appeared. I have changed the name and description to reflect its new use. It is now "General Discussions". Have fun!

-Jack

#24 Ann and Ken

Ann and Ken

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 12 July 2004 - 09:11 AM

Lisa-- In reference to voting, if we can get EL to start answering the questions we have and can post some results maybe people will feel more inclined to vote on a issue.

For years we have been banging on the EL door with our questions and they were never addressed so we kind of gave up.
Now it seems they are trying to interact with us so the more they do the more collectors might get back in the swing of things .

The frustration level has been very high in the last couple of years with Ebay & confusion at the stores etc.. but here is a chance to make something happen.

No matter what-- I enjoy my solids ( just changed most of my displays biggrin.gif ) so I will continue collecting and hope all my complaining about EL is taken as I mean it-- to make things easier for the collectors and help the hobby grow.

And the disscussion here is very important no matter how many solids you have or how long you have collected.

I really, really like the idea of getting a solid just because it means something special to you. So even if you only have one solid it is much more important than having a cabinet full that mean nothing. biggrin.gif

Ann

#25 Petals

Petals

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 12 July 2004 - 09:28 AM

Well put!

smile.gif

#26 Nettie

Nettie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 12 July 2004 - 09:31 AM

Hi everyone

Thanks for the encouragement and warm greetings.

Darwin is at the very top of Australia. It gets very hot and very very humid in our "wet" season so called because it rains and rains. We have lots of thunderstorms and nature displays some beautiful lightening shows. This time of the year we are also prone to cyclones.

At present we are in our "dry" season and we see very little rain if any. Temperatures are just devine no aircoolers needed, but we can still wear T-shits, shorts and thongs (we wear them on our feet)
This is the time all the tourists from the southern parts of Australia visit to escape their chilly winters!!!!

My first solid was the Fabulous Frog, my husband saw it when he was buying me some perfume for Xmas,knowing I adore frogs he bought it for me .
Then nearly every year there after he surprised me with a solid. So I didn't really chose any, he did and had great taste.

My favourite solid from, the ones I have, would be the Jack in the Box.

Annette

#27 Nettie

Nettie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 12 July 2004 - 09:38 AM

Hi to Michele

Would love to live near Sandra but are poles apart.

I always enjoy reading her posts and I am pleased to see her posting again.

From one Aussie to another.

Annette

#28 Ar

Ar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 12 July 2004 - 10:05 AM

I am relatively new to this fabuous site. I joined because it is for aficionados of Estee Lauder solid perfume. I already posted when I thought I had something useful to contribute. I hope the site doesn't become cluttered with off-topic posts - it hasn't so far.
Ar
Baltimore, MD

#29 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 12 July 2004 - 10:09 AM

Ar,

That is why we have another area for "off topic" subjects.

General Lauder solids talk area is specifically just solid talk. wink.gif

So if you could only have one solid from last year which one would it be??

#30 Ar

Ar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 12 July 2004 - 10:16 AM

I wish I had bought the Enchanted Mushroom. I keep checking at Saks OFF Fifth but they don't have it. I saw the cherry, bejeweled butterfly and dragonfly there on Saturday. My absolute favorite from 2003 was the fox. This year my favorite is the hummingbird - I have been waiting for it for a long time (I have been on 2 hummingbird research projects in Costa Rica and Peru, and I also photograph them with high speed flashes. I have fed them, petted them --and they have peed on my hand-not many can say that! ) Ar

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users