• Please log in to reply
105 replies to this topic

#1 Martha C

Martha C

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 11 July 2004 - 12:48 PM

Since this site now has over 300 members (many of which are new), I am curious as to why more members don't post (especially our new ones). So, I'm offering up this suggestion and would like to know what everyone thinks.

Perhaps new members are shy about posting and some may feel a little intimidated. Some of the older members don't post much anymore, for one reason or another. Perhaps we could have a forum where all members could come just to chat about life in general. For example, you could discuss a great movie you just saw or a book read, maybe someone had a bad day and would like to vent, we could talk about sports, your favorite perfume or your wonderful pet, and on and on .. the topics are endless. Oh, and musn't forget the short stories. tongue.gif This could also be an opportunity for new members to "get their feet wet" so to speak and get to know the other members.

Any thoughts?

#2 Petals

Petals

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 11 July 2004 - 01:53 PM

Hello Martha, As one of the older members I have noticed that the newer members are omitting to post their locations and even a small amount of information about themselves. Whilst I agree that no-one should feel obliged to include this in their profile, I do feel that complete anonymity does not promote a feeling of belonging, trust or inspire confidence. It was nice to be able to send a small message of greeting to someone, especially if one had visited where they lived and this, in itself, created a feeling of goodwill and bonding.

Some members will say that they visit this site only to learn and exchange/solid perfumes. Sobeit.... But we have really enjoyed other aspects of the site, and the creativity in producing photographs displaying the solids in so many different ways, together with the stories and our different personalities, all contriving to make a more diverse and interesting site.

There are some wonderful people here. I recall when I first joined there were many members who reached out and taught me so much. Some no longer post, and I do wonder how they are. I really did appreciate their advice and their welcome. Without them and their enthusiasm I doubt I would have continued with my collecting.

And, Martha, I look forward soon to returning to our stories and whatever else we have to write about. As Michele wrote, we have to move on.......and we will.....and what you have written is just the beginning........

smile.gif

#3 Nettie

Nettie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 11 July 2004 - 05:27 PM

Hi everyone,

My name is Annette , this is my first post ,although I visit every day .
I guess I'm one of those "shy" ones. I feel I have very little advice or indepth knowledge about collectiong solids to offer, as I'm fairly new to collecting .
I don't have many solids. I have recieved 1 most years for a combined xmas birthday pressie for the last 7 years. (my birthday is close to xmas) from my wonderful husband.

I love looking at all solids and hope one day to own lots more, but with limited funds and a large family of five children one special one a year at present is all I can hope for.

I have learned so much from everyone about the different types of solids, also about the compassion and humor every one has. This year I've been able to order the Harrods Lion as my special solid,something I would not have been able to do if I had not visited the site and read all the information you guys offer.

Thanks Martha I guess this has given me the courage to make my first post.

Thanks again to evryone for a very imformative and entertaing site.

Annette.

#4 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 11 July 2004 - 05:32 PM

Hiya Martha, hiya Jacky.

What I've noticed is that the majority of new members don't post for about 3 - 6 months as the info and posts on here between members can be a bit overwhelming at first and some don't think they are able to adequately contribute. unsure.gif

So some need a bit of courage to actually do their first post (unlike Don and Margaret who just got right in there! - hi guys - where are ya?). cool.gif

Some members who do post get no response (like LMSW1 recently). sad.gif

And then some of the older members may feel it's all said and done before . . . but will post when something 'new' and refreshing comes up. biggrin.gif

And then others just get busy and don't come back for a while . . . .

In light of the recent event woth Michaela, I like the idea of sharing / discussing personal events just for the sake of getting it all out there instead of bottling it all up inside.

(There are also lots of eyes on this site who read to gain for their own benefit without contributing). ph34r.gif

#5 Martha C

Martha C

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 11 July 2004 - 06:23 PM

Welcome, Annette! So glad you decided to post, and please don't be shy with us as we can learn a lot from you, I'm sure of that. Since you buy one solid a year, would like to know which ones you chose. Also, tell us about Darwin, Australia.

(Hello Sandra and Jacky biggrin.gif )

#6 Michele

Michele

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 11 July 2004 - 06:32 PM

Hi Martha - Jacky - Sandra...and Welcome to Annette!

I think it's a very good idea to have some sort of forum for those who feel they can "open up" in public. Great idea, Martha! And Sandra...Annette sounds like exactly who you described...a little shy and overwhelmed, but thanks to Martha and Jacky, finally had the courage (and it does take some courage) to post.

Annette, you don't have to offer advice...or be terribly knowledgeable about solids or collecting....you simply have to "Be." Your family sounds wonderful, and your husband is very sweet to buy you a solid each year, although with 5 children, I'd shoot for a little more than one solid! laugh.gif The Harrod's Lion/Crown is a beautiful addition to your collection. In time, others will follow. Perhaps the ones that will always mean the most to you will be those you received when they were hardest to afford.

To all members...I know I said it's time to move on, and it is, but I never said it would be easy. I would ask that Michaela be considered a permanent "Member" of solidperfume.com...possibly an Honorary Member or something...but that's up to Jack and Lisa.

Must run...Annette...please come back often. You just might be a neighbor of Sandra's...I'll say a prayer for you! ohmy.gif

#7 Ann and Ken

Ann and Ken

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 11 July 2004 - 08:09 PM

Great ideas everyone!!!!

Welcome Annette.

As the resident "talks to much" I would like to say I love to hear from new people.

I can repeat myself and you will not notice. laugh.gif laugh.gif
Although I am sure someone will point it out. laugh.gif laugh.gif

The biggest thing to remember is not to take some of the stuff(opinions) said here to serious.
Lots of different opinions but there is no right or wrong to the opinions just different.

Even the longest member here learns something new everyday. laugh.gif

Ann

#8 Don and Margaret

Don and Margaret

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 11 July 2004 - 08:21 PM

a.

#9 loveperfume

loveperfume

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 11 July 2004 - 08:44 PM

Welcome to the board Nettie. There are lots of great people here. That's very sweet of your husband to get you a solid every year. I would pass out if my husband bought me one, but usually he's the one passing out when the bill comes in. Don't know which one you got last year but I think my favorite one from 2003 is the venetian fan. I love the blue color of it and also really like Intuition.

#10 Ann and Ken

Ann and Ken

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 11 July 2004 - 08:58 PM

I am with Pat---the Fan. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

laugh.gif laugh.gif But I also like the mushroom. Then there is the Fox and Sunflower---never mind. laugh.gif

Ann

#11 Aoide

Aoide

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 July 2004 - 10:15 PM

Hello all. My name is Laurie and I am one of the new members under discussion. I am partially in the same boat as Annette in that I don't have very many solids or very much money for solids. All the ones I have except for maybe three were gifts from my mother or aunt. I don't feel like I have a lot of advice to give. I have a lot to learn.

In terms of posting I am a member of several different forums, but I am usually a lurker versus a poster. One thing that I have seen at almost all the other forums is a general area such as "Community Discussion" or "Water Cooler" for people to gather to talk about things other than the main board subject.

I certainly have enjoyed looking through the pictures and reading the posts on this group and I am very glad I found it. I have perfume bottles and minis and solids (mostly again from my mom and aunt..... ) but I love the solids the most.

#12 Michele

Michele

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 11 July 2004 - 10:34 PM

Martha...I do believe you've stumbled on to something good here! Hello to Laurie! And again, you don't need to know a lot or have a zillion solids...just the fact that you enjoy them is good enough for starters! rolleyes.gif Most of us come here to get advice, so don't feel alone. Usually if we throw out a question, someone always comes to the rescue!

Don & Margaret and Ann - I do believe....no, I'm sure...my very favorite solid from last year (prior to January and the Bustier) was the Fiery Fox. One Superior Solid! Just a fantastic creation!! smile.gif

Sandra...we've missed you. You've been so very, very quiet (understandably), but let out all that built up tension slowly, ok. One member at a time! laugh.gif

It's good just to 'be', isn't it....

Take care, all....and good night! zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

#13 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 11 July 2004 - 11:01 PM

First a big hello and welcome to our two new members.

To address some of the comments made- I feel as though the polls are a very important helpful tool because it give us all one voice, we are the collectors and can express our opinions, view, ideas, likes and dislikes. I have said this recently in a previous post but I simply cannot force our 300+ members to vote no matter what I ask. I do admit that I don't post that many polls because they just don't get a response. Recently I asked Jack to remove the poll area because when Lauder does stop by the site to see what is going on (and they do) they only see 20 something votes as it never seems to get a big response, just think of the impact the questions could have- I don't really see the point of having the poll area if only a handfull of people are voting.

I think "other" talk is a wonderful idea and that is what the non-solid talk area is for so please feel free to talk about anything- well just not religion or politics! laugh.gif No, even that is OK, as long as it gets some chat going. The storys from some of our members were fantastic so please feel free to start some new stories in this area as well.

I think some other reasons that people don't post is they get frustrated- they may have had their feeling hurt or were down right upset with something someone else said. Some may even feel intimidated from the response another member may give them. In the past we have even seen other members fighting and posts have been removed. I feel some members may even be upset with me because of some false untrue rumors being sent around that I am fully aware of.

The magic dragon on the top of the page is for Michaela so that we may never forget her, it is in her memory so please lets all learn from this tragedy and pull together as a community to respect and all be friends with one another.

When posting something in a joking manner please be aware that although you may be joking it may offend someone or hurt someones feelings. Fighting or personal attacks will not be tolerated in any way shape or form.

As far as the "new" collectors, if you have more than one solid you are a collector, if you only have one solid and want another one you are a collector and your views and opinions are just as important if not more so. Remember we always need new collectors and welcome any question or suggestion. When I started this site in 2002 I only had 30 solids!!

In looking back at last years solids- if I could only have one it would have to be the Luscious fruits

#14 Aoide

Aoide

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 12 July 2004 - 12:28 AM

QUOTE(Lisa @ Jul 11 2004, 10:14 PM)
I think "other" talk is a wonderful idea and that is what the non-solid talk area is for so please feel free to talk about anything

In looking back at last years solids- if I could only have one it would have to be the Luscious fruits

If the non-solid talk area is for casual talk you might want to rephrase the descriptor underneath it. When I read it... I think it is a place for non-Estee Lauder solids and compact talk. Not a casual conversation place. Or am I looking in the wrong place?

I saw the Luscious fruits this past Friday in San Marcos (I ending up buying the Enchanted Fairy) but I fell in love with the Luscious fruits. So wonderful.

#15 greyhound

greyhound

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 12 July 2004 - 12:57 AM

It's great when new collectors post. You can always ask questions and share your opinions. smile.gif The world would be a very boring place if we all think alike. Please don't be afraid. This is the most friendly group of people I've ever encountered.

I've collected for 3 years now, yet I don't know nearly as much as the older big collectors. I'm the most shy person on earth! ph34r.gif It's difficult to find anyone worse. However, I feel comfortable enough to post here. If I can do it, so can you. smile.gif

Lately, I feel very passion-less about everything. I haven't bought a solid since March (my usual average is 3 per month). I'm upset over a few collecting issues and don't know what to do. mad.gif One of these issues is that I will resist posting my solid wants publicly. I often feel totally ignored...my topics get 3 responses at most. Someone didn't come through with a promise made to me a long while ago. Should I email and remind them? Or, was it an empty promise because they were trying to be nice and make me feel better? People tend to forget. This happens in real life too often. Blah, just call me the misery chick. ph34r.gif I'll now go listen to my Cure cds.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users