• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 Ann and Ken

Ann and Ken

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 09 July 2004 - 11:42 AM

EL has set up a conference call to be around the first of Aug.
Questions & answers and other topics will be discussed.

Please send in questions or concerns and we will do our best to get answers.

You can send questions to clarkkenneth@cox.net
Or to Jack & Lisa.

Ann

#2 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 09 July 2004 - 07:37 PM

Ann,

Can you give us a refresher on the questions we will be asking?

#3 Ann and Ken

Ann and Ken

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 09 July 2004 - 07:53 PM

Here are the quesions we gave to Mr. Anise .
They were taken as written from the board .
I left off the names to protect the innocent. laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is another question: Are the designers looking at past solids? Kind of strange about two dragonflys last year and some of the same animals this year.

How about something special for collectors like a contest to help with one of the designs of the solids?

Or why there isn't more involvment with collectors, can we have some sort of spoksperson to answer our questions?

The first question we would like answered is, if EL is concerned at all about all of the bad solids for sale on Ebay and what they might be able to do about seeing that they never get to market.

I'm curious as to where the unfinished and "mangled" (the roulette wheel) solids come from and if that is now the standard. A quick trip to the furnace for these "dumpster beauties" that turn a profit on ebay would solve a lot of angst.

My question is WHY do the solids in the U.K. cost so much more than those in the States!

Wouldn't it be nice to have a Collectors' Club endorsed by E.L. whereby they bring out something only available for the Collectors.

Why the antithapy towards the Collectors?

While I haven't a specific question it would be good if the Estee organization could know how much we appreciate our solids and to know the acute pain it causes us to see the distorted, damaged or unfinished items for sale by persons who don't know or care a fig about them, only about making a buck. If they would understand it is not a monetary concern, just our love of the beauty of the objects we buy and collect maybe they would become more cooperative and appreciative of collectors. Too much to hope for?

Ann, the question I would have for EL is would they consider bringing back some of their timeless perfumes such as Knowing, Private Collection, Estee, etc. to put in some of their solids. I really like all of their fragrances and would like to see something other than Beautiful and Pleasures. Thanks.

#4 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 10 July 2004 - 08:26 AM

Thanks for adding the above post, does anyone have anything to add?

#5 Ann and Ken

Ann and Ken

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 10 July 2004 - 09:08 AM

One of the topics raised at convention was the new magnetic closures.

EL 's position was that they were easier to open & close.
They didn't talk about that they were were cheaper to make. biggrin.gif

Which is right BUT my opinion is it cheapens them, the solid doesn't stay fresh, and collectors don't want to open and close them except to make sure they work ( with the exception of Pat who likes to open and smell regularly laugh.gif laugh.gif ).

EL has this idea that we use the solid and it doesn't have to stay fresh. These people (EL) are from a different planet( or maybe I am). laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

Let us hear from you . Pros and Cons.

Ann

#6 Ann and Ken

Ann and Ken

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 10 July 2004 - 09:24 AM

Lisa-- If more people would vote in the polls you could ask some comparitive( just made up that word) questions and it would be easy to present the poll numbers to EL now that we have a forum to do so.

Voting is a easy way to have an opinion without saying anything and Americans are great about voting. laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

The one about which 2004 solid do you like is a good example to show EL presales which might be the most popular. If they would Maybe rely more on the collectors opinion BEFORE solid production maybe so many would not end up in the CC stores.

And the contest you did last year was a good idea and maybe we could suggest to EL doing it again and if they use an idea the person gets a free solid. They use to do this with the store employees.

Anyway folks-- here is a chance to have your voice heard. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Ann

#7 Sabina

Sabina

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 10 July 2004 - 02:24 PM

The ëFlower Cartí and ëThe Barní are limited editions of 400 and 500 pieces. Iím wondering if in the future all solids -except for the general distribution- are or going to be limited to 400 / 500 pieces or maybe even less to 250 / 300 pieces.

Another question would be if they could get more creative with their ëfree giftsí. For years the ëfree giftsë are more or less the same old story. An idea would be, if for example you buy Strongwater solids for $400 / $500 at Saks (and not at the Lauder stores to get the cash discount), you get a general distribution solid or powder compact for free. Many ëgeneral solidsí and powder compacts are going to end up at the CC stores anyway. Or maybe they could come up with a 'Lauder card', which is valid in every store that sells Estee Lauder, and you could collect $ amounts or points and instead of a free turkey or ham you would have a choice of Lauder items or cash discount - just an idea.

Thanks
Sabina

#8 Ann and Ken

Ann and Ken

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 10 July 2004 - 03:50 PM

Great ideas Sabina.
Will submit. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Ann

#9 P.E.Parry

P.E.Parry

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 10 July 2004 - 05:08 PM

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=7][COLOR=purple]
Ann:
Thanks for continuing to seek the answer of the magnetic closures. You expressed my first thought on seeing them - Cheapened. Maybe EL would consider doing the better, more expensive ones at least with a better type of closing?
Phyllis

#10 Karin

Karin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 10 July 2004 - 05:52 PM

I really don't get it how a lot of solids and powder compacts can end up in discount stores when I know that the department stores here in Sweden are practically screaming and fighting for getting them! Even with the more than doubled prices they sell out in just a few days!!! Please point out to EL that they have a serious distribution problem here...
Karin

#11 greyhound

greyhound

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 10 July 2004 - 10:12 PM

Sabina, that's one of the best ideas I heard in a long time.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I like the new magnetic closures better. I can't tell you how many older solids of mine have loose hinges! 99% of ebay sellers fail to mention loose hinges. I try my best to remember this when I sell, although I'm absent minded enough to forget once in a while. The magnetic ones stay in place like it should & don't wobble. tongue.gif

This hasn't been brought up before, so I don't know if anyone else cares or shares the same opinion. I absolutely mad.gif the Lauder boxes. They're too floppy. I barely bump into it and the whole thing falls apart. I like the older velvet ones with hinges. You can open and close easily; stays in place when you bump into it. In addition, they were smaller = took up less room and made storage easier. In short, I wish EL would bring back the older boxes.

#12 Lori B

Lori B

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 11 July 2004 - 08:31 PM

I am not sure if anyone else runs into this, but I would like it if EL informed all of the sales reps of what is going on with the solids. The ones I deal with often cannot answer questions any better than I could (which my knowledge of new releases each year is minimal - thanks to this site I can actually find out what is really going on!).

An example (using a powder compact example) is the Morrocan Mosaic powder compact, which I had been informed through an ebay seller was determined not to be sold in the US. I called an EL sales rep to confirm this, which for months after I had called she insisted they were still going to be sold in the US at her store. Of course, it never was sold in the US.

It seems that EL tries to keep things secretive, not even informing sales reps. It would be nice if they had open communications with their reps - or perhaps the person I call is out of the loop on their own account and this is not a widespread thing?

Thanks Ann for compiling these comments!

#13 Ann and Ken

Ann and Ken

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 11 July 2004 - 08:53 PM

We did talk briefly about this problem at convention.

The SA's in the stores are only trained about the fragrance/makeup stuff.

The solids were such a small part of EL and only at Christmas they didn't put any effort in to training.
The SA's that have been at the counters a long time have learned mostly from collectors.
It is getting better--- I only got 3 calls from SA's this year wanting to know what they were going to have to sell. laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

This is a wide spread problem. Most and I mean most SA's do not have a clue what they are going to have until they get it.

Will bring this up again.

Ann

#14 loveperfume

loveperfume

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 11 July 2004 - 09:01 PM

One of the problems I have run into is that you can talk to one sales rep and give her your name and number to call when the solids get in and never hear from her because she is working at a different fragrance counter. I'm finding that it is easier just to call the EL store.

#15 Lori B

Lori B

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 11 July 2004 - 11:14 PM

I have a question regarding the boxes. I have only purchased powder compacts directly from the Estee Lauder store (the one in Las Vegas) and they came in a gold box and blue ribbon, but it was not the original gold box they normally come in. I am going to Las Vegas at the end of August and plan to stock up on solids, and was wondering if the solids sold at the EL store also do not come in their original boxes, but rather a plain gold box? Is this a regular thing that the EL store does to distinguish items sold at their store vs. other retail stores?

Any comments are appreciated!

Thanks!!
Lori

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users