16 replies to this topic

#1 knash

knash

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 30 September 2002 - 03:01 AM

Hi everyone,
I am very new, as some of you know...My question this time is about the difference between the solids at the various different stores. For instance, Bloomies and Macys seem to have the same ones (a little dog, a pegusus, a youth dew cameo) yet the ones you are all talking about from Neimans/Saks seem to be more elaborate and more expensive. Are the ones from Bloomies/Macy's worth anything? The sales person told me that they only make one youth dew cameo per year, which makes them highly "collectible". True or Not True? I don't have the budge to spend 250 on a jeweled showgirl (but I wish I did!! Its gorgeous!!), so I wanted to know if the lower priced ones a decent "investment" for lack of a better word. At this point, I am really only buying the ones I like that are under $100.

Thanks!

#2 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 30 September 2002 - 02:35 PM

Here is the breakdown:
General Distribution, which include: Bloomies, Macy's, Burdines Filenes etc.

Bathing dog Pleasures $70.00
Sand Castle Beautiful $70.00
Cameo Youth Dew $70.00
Pegasus Intuition $70.00

Neiman Marcus/Bergdorf Goodman Exclusives:

Circus Lion Pleasures $450.00
Cowboy Pleasures $200.00
Giraffe Youth Dew $100.00
Igloo Pleasures $250.00
Train Beautiful $200.00
Spanish Dancer Beautiful $250.00
Matador Intuition $250.00
Octopus White Linen $175.00

Saks Fifth Avenue Exclusives:

Bejeweled Crown Pleasures $250.00
Glistening Dragon Fly Intuition $250.00
Glistening Acorn Pleasures $150.00
GOLD Romantic Edition Beautiful $150.00
Prince Charming White Linen $200.00

Nordstrom Exclusive:

Enchanted Fairy Beautiful $125.00

Harrods:

Teddy Bear Intuition
Classic Delivery Van Pleasures
Harrods Beautiful Palace
(all Harrods prices in pounds)

Vegas:

Lucky Hand
Showgirl

True about the Cameo, one per year but also full distribution with a high production #

I didn't start out collecting with spending a lot of money (my husband wishes I could say that today!) I started by collecting the Knowing (my favorite Lauder fragrance) solid every year, just one. My problem began when they stopped making Knowing in a solid then I went haywire.
You could also start with a theme like cameos or dogs and just concentrate on that
[Big Grin]

[ September 30, 2002, 03:49 PM: Message edited by: Lisa ]

#3 Gail C.

Gail C.

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 30 September 2002 - 03:47 PM

HI EVERYONE!
DOES ANYONE KNOW IF THE THREE HARRODS' SOLIDS ARE BEING SOLD YET? I HAVE CONTACTED THIER CUSTOMER SERVICE AND AS YET I HAVE NOT RECEIVED A REPLY.
HAS ANYONE SEEN THEM "UP CLOSE AND PERSONAL"? HAS ANYONE SEEN THE VEGAS SHOWGIRLS YET?
WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS ON THEM?
THANK YOU FOR ANY HELP ON THIS.
GAIL

#4 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 30 September 2002 - 07:27 PM

I don't think the Harrods are in as of yet, although I may be wrong.
I saw the prototype of the showgirl solid while in Vegas and she is beautiful! I think she will be available next year. [Confused]

#5 Ann and Ken

Ann and Ken

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 30 September 2002 - 09:47 PM

Harrods called us today and they are shipping today. We are getting all of them so we will post a photo if anyone wants to see them.
Ann & Ken

#6 knash

knash

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 30 September 2002 - 11:05 PM

Thanks Lisa! I think I'll stick with the kitty theme...
[Smile]
Karen

PS- I made a STUPID ebay blunder! I wanted the "Bubbly"2000 with the rhinestones and I saw it on ebay "buy it now" for $60 so I bought it. Then I realized it was the regular one, not the sparkly one. Oh well...live and learn! At least the book says I paid $15 less than it is worth. But I've noticed that book isn't always accurate (ie - it says the Keepsake solid is worth 75-125).

Bye for now.

#7 Sylvia Ray

Sylvia Ray

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 01 October 2002 - 08:58 AM

That's not too big of a blunder, Knash. According to lisa's "Solid Values" page, the Bubbly you bought has sold a total of 13 times over the past few months for an average price of $58.

We've all made bigger blunders than that!
[Smile]

#8 Petals

Petals

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 01 October 2002 - 12:20 PM

Hi Ann and Ken,

Seems as though Harrods have contacted you before us poor mortals in the U.K.

I have reserved a couple but it all adds up to alot of money.

Am I being too nosey but are you purchasing the Harrods Palace? Looking forward to seeing it as I have been told it is nicer than th [Roll Eyes] e photograph. As an investment I am wondering if anyone will re-purchase at a higher price than the 35O Sterling!

Best wishes to you all. This site is becoming addictive!

#9 Ann and Ken

Ann and Ken

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 01 October 2002 - 07:12 PM

Yes,as soon as we get it we will post a photo.

We are now boarding up the windows for Hurricane Lili. The last storm wasn't to bad but this one might be. Right now we are in the direct path. Baton Rouge La. So all you guys to the north of us- if you see flying solids they are ours.
Ann & KEn

#10 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 01 October 2002 - 09:39 PM

Ann & Ken,

We know the feeling, hope she isn't too bad of a storm and dies down a bit.

#11 knash

knash

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 01 October 2002 - 09:52 PM

Miss Ray,
Thanks! I feel better now!!
[Smile]
Karen

#12 simplysolids

simplysolids

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 October 2002 - 10:41 PM

Hi Ann & Ken,
I am so glad you posted that the Harrods solids have arrived and are being shipped out. I did pre-order them , as well, but have not heard from my contact (Emma) there as of today. She did take all my info and informed me that they were to arrive on September 30th. Thanks for this message; I'll be sure to give her a call..................Can't wait to see them in person!!!!
simplysolids

#13 simplysolids

simplysolids

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 October 2002 - 10:43 PM

Ann & Ken,
I am soo sorry that I posted a message to your reply, but didn't mention your storm. I'll say a prayer that all is ok......hang in there...............!
simplysolids

#14 Annette

Annette

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 01 October 2002 - 11:47 PM

Hi everyone ! just want to let everyone know I am the new to this site and I LOVE IT! I have been a collector for several years and enjoy the exchange of information to help each other out.

Thanks
A

#15 Petals

Petals

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 02 October 2002 - 06:52 AM

Hi Ann and Ken,

Hope you are O.K. and that the storm will pass over! Must check out my sister-in-law due to fly out from Miami and arriving here early Friday morning!

Still haven't heard from Harrods. Will pop in on Friday to check out the solids.

Bi4now.

Jacqueline

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users