Photo

Best 2004 Overall Group Of Solids

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

Poll: Who has the best overall group of solids this year?

Who has the best overall group of solids this year?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#31 perfumememory

perfumememory

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 08 January 2005 - 11:39 AM

I remembered a collector ever posted the total number of solids produced in 2003. However, I do not see it for 2004. Beside the harrods solid, do anyone know how many Jay Strongwater or Judith Leiber solid was produced? Do Harrods sell out faster because we know about the limited quantity? Supposed if we know they only made 150 pieces each of JL, will it sell out sooner??

I am curious who get to decide the price of the solids in different country? How much is the Judith Leober selling in Europe?

Over here in Singapore, after conversion, we are getting almost the same price as US for the JL , however, the price of the Jay Strongwater and GD is much more expensive here. wink.gif

#32 Petals

Petals

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 08 January 2005 - 03:03 PM

Hello Perfumemory, I recall purchasing solids in Singapore and they were cheaper than London. I think it is due to the taxation here in the U.K.

Re your point about whether Harrods solids sell out faster because we know about the limited number,

a) I believe YES
cool.gif We expect know they will be of the highest quality

BUT......

I noticed that they still have some from last year. The London Taxi and the Phone Box.......these I did not purchase as they did not appeal to me at all. So the question remains, did they overproduce these two solids and as such the demand was not there or, was the design not so appealing? So we get back to the same question from Ron's post
and my feeling is:

Produce limited numbers of each solid and as Ann said, bring back the quality and keep the price affordable. That way EL and everyone else wins in the long run!

One point we have not considered is that not all those who buy these solid perfumes are collectors so I doubt if they care about how many are released. I wonder if EL's marketing has an idea of the numbers in this respect??

#33 Petals

Petals

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 08 January 2005 - 03:05 PM

WEIRD, I DID NOT PUT THAT LITTLE SMILEY IN MY POST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#34 perfumememory

perfumememory

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 08 January 2005 - 03:21 PM

You should be able to buy things cheaper in most other country because ........my dear friend, your country dollars is sooooo strong. laugh.gif

You are completely right. The price of the Taxi is 165 pounds?? I will top 10 pounds to get the English emblem without a second thought.. rolleyes.gif

#35 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 08 January 2005 - 03:42 PM

Jackie,

Yes, you did put that smiley in your post.

If you go back in and look at your post a B + ) is code for that particular smiley.

#36 Petals

Petals

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 08 January 2005 - 04:13 PM

Thanks Lisa! I wondered how it came there! Now I know wink.gif

#37 Galina

Galina

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 08 January 2005 - 10:46 PM

I voted for Harrods!!!

#38 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 09 January 2005 - 04:27 PM

Mmmmm. .. . interesing debate :

a) Price between Lieber's and Strongwater's and GD's

cool.gif Price over quality or choosing one you really like.

c) Choice between buying limited editions or ones you like.

Most people's answer would be to buy them all!! laugh.gif

However for the investor, the limited editions would be the ones to go for, hence Harrod's ones selling out quickly this year. I don't think it has been such a big issue in the past two years though . . . . (correct me if I'm wrong!)

For the simple lover, the obvious choice would be just to buy the ones you like.

It's hard to know on the site who are 'investor's' and who are collector's and who are both! There are a lot of people on here who buy in multiples, thereby making it more difficult for others to by just one. This raises the price of the limited editions immediately and that's one thing I think Harrods understands. Limited editions will sell out quicker than the others. I reckon from this year's prices, next years Harrods ones will be much more expensive because they sold out so quickly!!

If you remember in the last couple of years since the 2001 bear which was limited in production because it was the first 'exclusive' year to Harrods solids (and now highly sought after), the next two years didn't go as well as they were plenty in supply, so now this year they were limited again and boy did they go!

We'd better be careful they aren't forced beyond our affordability! blink.gif

The transport idea (vans and taxis) didn't seem to take off, so they have avoided it this year . . . . but wonder if they will attempt the double-decker next year?

#39 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 09 January 2005 - 04:29 PM

ohmy.gif Ooops!! In my above post, the computer is reading 'b' with a bracket -it keeps thinking I want to put a smiley like cool.gif but I'm not !!

Maybe I should have used numbers instead of letters!

So to avoid the confusion, the above debate is a, b, c, Not a,cool.gif, c. Get it?

Sheesh! smile.gif

#40 Petals

Petals

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 09 January 2005 - 07:11 PM

I hope they do not bring out a double decker bus! That might go down the tube! rolleyes.gif I would love to see Buckingham Palace next time around, as long as it doesn't look like the Harrods Palace!

As long as the market is not flooded as if there were hundreds of the Imperial Princess would we love her so much? Or the Panda for that matter!

Keep them affordable, limited, and well made, and let us choose which ones to buy. All will be Winners!

wink.gif

#41 Michele

Michele

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 09 January 2005 - 07:21 PM

Jacky - I really, really want a double-decker bus.

Sandra - Would you mind repeating that last sentence? laugh.gif laugh.gif

#42 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 09 January 2005 - 07:32 PM

laugh.gif laugh.gif Michele - it went like this:

huh.gif , unsure.gif , blink.gif , cool.gif, mad.gif , smile.gif ? ph34r.gif

tongue.gif

#43 Jack

Jack

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 09 January 2005 - 10:57 PM

Hey everyone,

We are getting off topic here....

Thanks

#44 Michele

Michele

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 10 January 2005 - 12:40 AM

Guess my favorites from 2004 would have to be the LV/NY solids...the Little Red Barn, the Flower Cart (which originally I wasn't thrilled with, but it grew on me...now it's seems so "Spring-like"), the Boot and yes, the Sphere. Wore it last night over black velvet (on a gold chain...not silver) and it was drop dead stunning! Some bling-bling earrings made it was quite a combination!

Running way ahead of the pack is, of course, The Bustier...one knock-out solid for sure.

With very few exceptions, I'd say 2004 was a very, very good year for solids. smile.gif

And Sandra...why didn't you say that the first time? I'd have understood! laugh.gif

#45 Petals

Petals

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 10 January 2005 - 12:45 AM

Wish I could say I loved the Red Barn (which they must have only produced a handful of) and the Sphere I also thought was too small. The Bustier, yes, was a knock=out. Harrods solids were by far the best they have produced, but I wish we could see one list of all the solids for 2004 as I am sure am leaving some out!

Now am wondering what is in store for 2005! Just fishing!

wink.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users