35 replies to this topic

#16 Ann and Ken

Ann and Ken

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 24 June 2004 - 05:10 PM

Hi IMSW1,

MOB is mother of pearl. There is a matching powder compact on ebay 2252185609 . The powder compact is fairly common and EL reissued it several times.

The solid is smaller and I believe Brigitte has some in different colors maybe she can put on here. biggrin.gif

An eye shadow was also made in this design so it is best to buy MIB with label saying solid perfume.

Ann

#17 Martha C

Martha C

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 24 June 2004 - 05:14 PM

Imsw1,

I'm enjoying this chat, too. It's very enlightening. The Old English Fair is on page 44 of Roselyn's book "goldtone box green enamel lid centered with a portrait of a woman, copy of an eighteenth century English scent box." This solid has always appealed to me, but have never seen it anywhere (including Ebay). There is no photo in Lisa's database, and Brigitte at one time had it listed on her "Wish List." So I'm wondering if anyone out there has it or knows why it is so rare?

#18 Ann and Ken

Ann and Ken

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 24 June 2004 - 05:30 PM

Hi Martha,

There are some on the list that are not in Roselyn's book.

Someday when we have time those of us with "lists "should get together and do a master list .

EL has been promising one is why we have not done it before.

One problem with the list is some solids are listed by fragrance so you may have the same solid listed 3 times with the only difference being the fragrance.

In the 70's catagory on my list it has :

1972--Azuree-- Fragrance Sphere Pomander Necklace.

It is the only one on the page that has no discription. ?????????

Old English Fair on my list:

1973--Estee-- Old English Fair- Various copies of 18th century English scent boxes filled with your choice of Y-D or Estee solid perfume.

Then it is listed again with the same imformation only with Y-D as the fraqrance.
It is the only one on my list that doesn't have a price in the price box. Don't know if that means they didn't retail it.

An interesting side note--- My list shows which solids were GWP and what dept store to get it.
Example-Starshell Necklace- Marshall Fields w/ purchase of $6 or more.

Ann

#19 Martha C

Martha C

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 24 June 2004 - 05:51 PM

Thanks, Ann, that's some very interesting information. That explains why we may never see the Old English Fair ... I'm very disappointed! sad.gif But maybe there is a prototype out there somewhere. biggrin.gif

The mother of pearl powder compact is one of my favorites, and had no idea there is a solid to match. smile.gif Would love to see some photos. Brigitte, do you have some photos you could share with us?

#20 Ann and Ken

Ann and Ken

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 24 June 2004 - 05:58 PM

Brigitte has the blue one on her page under wishlist- solids I don't have.

If Ken was here I would put on a photo of mine. If one doesn't show up on here before Ken gets back we will add it to the data base. biggrin.gif

We did have the photo of the MOB on here, the two together but I can't find it. It was when we were putting on matching solids to powder compacts.

Ann

#21 Martha C

Martha C

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 24 June 2004 - 06:06 PM

Thank you, Ann, can't wait to see your photo! (Tell Ken to hurry up and get home! biggrin.gif )

#22 Ann and Ken

Ann and Ken

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 24 June 2004 - 06:10 PM

If there is any interest maybe we can do the powder matching thing again.

Do an update . Surely Ken or Jack can find the old photos and I can just add to them.

Ann

#23 Martha C

Martha C

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 24 June 2004 - 06:31 PM

I for one would love to see photos of the solids with matching powder compacts, as I'm sure would many others. Thanks, Ann, appreciate this.

#24 Ann and Ken

Ann and Ken

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 24 June 2004 - 06:47 PM

We will try for Sun. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Ann

#25 Nicki169

Nicki169

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 24 June 2004 - 07:40 PM

Ann ad Ken,
I remember when you had posted your photos of matching solids and powder compacts. The photos were wonderful! It would be really nice if Jack could set up another Yellow Tab that reads MATCHING SOLIDS & POWDERS. Than we could easily view your photos on this topic.

Jack - If it's possible there is space for another Yellow Tab beside Members Photos.

#26 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 25 June 2004 - 11:37 AM

Barb,

Yes, this is a very good suggestion, however Jack is always sooo busy it is hard for him being he is always busy. It will however be added to his "to do list" wink.gif

#27 Nicki169

Nicki169

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 26 June 2004 - 12:24 AM

Thanks Lisa, and of course Jack! biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

#28 Brigitte

Brigitte

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 26 June 2004 - 07:23 AM

Hi everyone,

here comes the different versions of the MOTHER OF PEARLS. I don't know the proper name of these solids, but they all have a label which says:

Est»e Lauder
Youth-Dew
Creme Sachet
Perfume

They are not marked inside the box, but as you can see on the 2 original packing boxes they are Est»e Lauder.

user posted image user posted image

user posted image user posted image

user posted image

As far as it concerns the description of the 1972 Azuree Fragrance Sphere Pomander Necklace I have a description which says:
A round hanging pomander of marbeled brown and gold ceramic w/gold-hued attachments.

I suppose it's the same as the Perfumed Pomander Necklace (Youth-Dew) from 1972

user posted image

I do have a database for the Powder Compacts, but unfortunately can't publish it. Most of the pics are taken by myself but some are "stolen" out of brochures or from eBay sellers and of course some are still missing. Therefore at the moment I can only use it for my proper use. I had a Lauder list of the Powder Compacts with only the description and some times it's very difficult to ad the pics to the description as I don't always understand what the description really means (maybe I wouldn't even understand if it were written in German laugh.gif cool.gif ).

A long time ago I contacted one of our members but unfortunately got no response. So if someone of you is a powder compact collector and is willing to be of help maybe we could get in touch and complete the database with "not stolen" pics and then publish the whole databese.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Have a wonderful day

Brigitte

#29 Martha C

Martha C

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 26 June 2004 - 08:02 AM

Brigitte,

These are exquisite ... thanks so much for sharing. I especially like the green enamel solid, and is that the matching powder compact with it in the box? Beautiful!!! I have a couple of the eyeshadows that match the turquoise sachet, but they're in a metal compact rather than mother of pearl.

#30 Jack

Jack

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 26 June 2004 - 09:05 AM

QUOTE(Ann and Ken @ Jun 24 2004, 06:23 PM)

Surely Ken or Jack can find the old photos and I can just add to them.

Ann

I found them! I added a new topic for this and you can add anything new you might have. Let me know if I mssed a bunch and I can go back and look some more.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users