• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#16 Petals

Petals

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 30 May 2004 - 03:31 AM

Hi Greyhound, think you and Michele are 'pulling my leg' and if you ask me what that means, I have a good answer!

Stockists are people who stock the goods, i.e. Retailers. ' Blingy' Michele, (Margaret will know best), I take to mean, full of sparklies, eye catching.........etc.,
Margaret can you come on board and confirm!? wink.gif

KK, pictures will no doubt be winging their way to Lisa!

Sandra, heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelp ph34r.gif ph34r.gif ph34r.gif

smile.gif

I am now going back into hibernation ............bibibibibibibibi Hope you all have a wonderful time in Vegas!!!!! smile.gif

#17 Nancy

Nancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 30 May 2004 - 06:00 AM

Hi Michele, I think Margaret means that she is hoping the compact will have the bling bling factor - sparkly!
I thought a Blue Boot was mentioned ages ago for Harrods but, wasn't that mentioned for another store too.
A stockist is someone, or a store who stocks an item. I can't see EL going for that really. OK Harrods will send out but I'm sure I speak for many people when I say I like to look before I buy. Not everyone can take a trip to London just to see what the solids look like and to be honest, some I loved the look of in pictures don't look so good in the flesh and vice-versa! The pictures do not do them justice. I must admit it will be a coup for Harrods if it is true. I'm racking my brain here Jacky, does Harrods own House of Fraser and Jenners or not. I think they would have something to say, plus Harvey Nic's and Selfridges. Oh boy, this could be trouble. Maybe Harrods will be the one to sell the Strongwater, SAKS and Neiman Marcus exclusives and the 'ordinary' ones can be sold everywhere else. I guess it's just 'watch this space' for a while.

#18 Nancy

Nancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 30 May 2004 - 06:05 AM

Ooooops! Jacky our post must have crossed, but why is there a time difference, or did I just miss yours. Sorry, I'm tired and my brain is not keeping up!!!

#19 Petals

Petals

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 30 May 2004 - 06:53 AM

No problem Nancy and you raise some interesting points to boot!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re the boot, yes you are right as there was talk of one. That will probably come out with the general line as I only mentioned the limited ones.

It does seem strange that Harrods will have the monopoly and am wondering whether this will just apply to London??? As you say, we will just have to wait for more information and I agree with you 100 percent about seeing the solids in the flesh. I have been very disappointed many times and would always want to see them as is before purchasing. That excludes the older ones which I buy, as there is no way to view these!

So I will try and find out more and it may well be that there has been a misunderstanding somewhere along the line..............So if you or Margaret or Maggie etc., find anything else out, look forward to reading.

Don't work too hard Nancy! Take a rest today! You and I seem to be in the same boat! smile.gif wink.gif

#20 Michele

Michele

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 30 May 2004 - 09:55 AM

Jacky and Nancy -

Thanks for the explanation of a "bling or blingy." Never heard that before, but I will remember it!

As far as the possible selling changes in England, (if they are true), I have to wonder if the passing of Estee Lauder has anything to do with it. I don't think she would have agreed to it if able, and must wonder what other changes are coming down the road. Must keep our eyes open...and our minds.

#21 Michele

Michele

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 30 May 2004 - 10:03 AM

AHA! GREYHOUND...You've raised an interesting point in your post. You mentioned a double-decker bus. I do believe that was on my "Wish List" last year for new solids, but did E. L. listen? Noooooo....and it would have made sense as it would have fit in with the other vehicles they've made! WHAT does a Mailbox (Pillar) go with? The Lighthouse? The Steamboat? Next solid they'll do will probably be a Fire Hydrant with a puppy next to it!

I'm getting steamed.... mad.gif

#22 VEGAS LADY

VEGAS LADY

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 30 May 2004 - 11:05 AM

HI MICHELE,

SORRY I DID NOT REPLY SOONER, WORK WORK WORK!!!!!! WISH WE COULD GET SOME GOOD NEW STAFF.

NANCY AND JACKY ARE SPOT ON WITH THEIR ANSWER.

BLING IS A NEW TERM THAT HAS COME OUT IN THE LAST TWO YEARS, MEANING
ANYTHING THAT SPARKLES. FAKE SPARKLY JEWELLERY IS ALL THE RAGE AT THE MOMENT OVER HERE, WE CALL IT BLING BLING. THE GIRLS I WORK WITH WILL SAY TO ME " I SEE YOU HAVE YOUR VEGAS BLING ON TODAY MARGARET " WILL YOU BRING ME SOME BACK WHEN YOU GO....YOU HAVE TO BE CAREFUL NOT TO WEAR TO MUCH OR YOU END UP LIKE A CHRISTMAS TREE laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

REGARDS......MARGARET.....

#23 Michele

Michele

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 30 May 2004 - 11:13 AM

Thanks, Margaret. The explanation seems unanimous. Bling = Sparkley! rolleyes.gif Amazing how words are added and deleted from our vocabularies. Did you know that if you "smack" someone in this country, you are talking behind their backs? I swear...it's true! The older I get, the harder it becomes to understand what the heck the younger generation is talking about! So the lesson here is....don't "smack" anyone wearing too many "bling-bling's!" laugh.gif (No matter how hard it is to restrain yourself laugh.gif )

#24 VEGAS LADY

VEGAS LADY

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 30 May 2004 - 03:08 PM

MICHELE......THAT I WILL REMEMBER laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

JACKY......IF I HEAR ANYTHING I WILL LET YOU KNOW, THE GIRLS IN OUR DEPARTMENT STORE NEVER KNOW A THING, THEY ASK ME!!!!!

BACK TO HARRODS AGAIN...... I HAVE WORKED IN RETAIL MOST OF MY LIFE, FROM THE BOTTOM TO THE TOP AND MY HUSBAND USED TO BE A BUYER, WE KNOW ALL THE TRICKS LIKE WHEN IS A SALE NOT A SALE BECAUSE WE INFLATED THE PRICE ANYWAY. THINGS HAVE GOT BETTER WITH THE NEW LARGE SUPERMARKET CHAINS BUT YOU WOULD BE SUPRISED JUST HOW LITTLE LUXURY
GOOD DO COST THEM TO BUY. ALL MOST STORES THINK OF IS PROFIT AND A LOT OF THIS LARGE PROFIT IS MADE ON LUXURY GOODS LIKE OUR SOLIDS, TO COME TO THE POINT.....IF HARRODS DOES BECOME THE EXCLUSIVE SELLER OF SOLIDS YOU WATCH THE PRICES RISE.

REGARDS..... MARGARET........

#25 Petals

Petals

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 31 May 2004 - 07:42 AM

Margaret, I just cannot believe that these solids can possibly go any higher than the prices we pay now ohmy.gif

Will be interesting to see what happens but I have seen customers buying solids at Selfridges, Debenhams etc. and even in stores in Brighton...and.....! Anyway, it could be that I misinterpreted what was relayed to me, and if so, it has still given us food for thought!!!!!!!! wink.gif I am sure I have not misinterpreted! As an ex 'Stringer' I try to get my facts right! (hopefully).

Keep updating Margaret! I am supposedly in hibernation.

Quick word to Sandra........'over and out'. ph34r.gif

smile.gif

#26 Michele

Michele

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 31 May 2004 - 08:51 AM

Jacky - What's a "stringer?" Is that a bad thing...or a good thing?

#27 Petals

Petals

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 31 May 2004 - 09:04 AM

laugh.gif laugh.gif Well that depends which way you look at it!!!!!!! wink.gif

Jack will be able to tell you! laugh.gif laugh.gif

smile.gif ph34r.gif

#28 lmsw1

lmsw1

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 01 June 2004 - 11:28 AM

cool.gif

Hi
To answer your question about what blingy means, I think it means sparkly. Bling-bling is slang for flashy jewelry...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users