#1 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 12 May 2004 - 05:52 PM

OK - what do we think of Frederick and our Mary??? cool.gif

How proud are we of her ?!?! cool.gif

Any Danes on the site?? (not to be confused with Great Danes!! - WOOF!! ) laugh.gif

#2 Martha C

Martha C

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 12 May 2004 - 07:19 PM

I would have to say, "Good on ya, Mary!" What a beautiful girl she is and from a place called Tasmania ... sounds wild, wonderful, and intriguing. cool.gif I know it's part of Australia, but where exactly is it, Sandra?

#3 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 12 May 2004 - 07:53 PM

Fee would be better qualified to answer this one - she resides there, I believe.

However, I'll have a go, though the other Aussies might give be a sholocking (similar to 'bollocking' in the UK) for my biased 'Sydney-ite" opinion . . .

It's the little detached (virtually unimportant) piece of land on the map right at the bottom of the East Coast. laugh.gif laugh.gif Sometimes it's left off the map . . . can you find it???

(C'mon guys, laugh - this is very tongue-in-cheek) biggrin.gif

I've been all around it (in a day) and it's LOVELY!! smile.gif

It's also where the Port Arthur massacre took place (did you hear about that?) . . . well actually, this is hard to talk about as one of my good friends was killed there. . . . sad.gif

#4 Karin

Karin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 13 May 2004 - 03:48 PM

Since I am a close neighbour of Denmark (Sweden is situated north of Denmark) and we also have a royal family (who are closely related to the Danish one), I couldnąt possibly be unaware of this event. In fact, my mother has gone to see a friend in the south part of Sweden called Sk┬ne, that once was part of Denmark (that is how "close" we are, we used to fight several wars..) to be able to see the whole "show" on danish television and to go to Copenhagen on friday and "feel" it... Of course Swedish television will broadcast this as well, live. Many people here are surprisingly concerned about the royalties... and the big question here is whether our heir to the throne, princess Victoria, will be able to find an equally suited spouse. After all, the royalties main purpose is to do PR for their country and it must be really difficult to have to fall in love with someone that lives up to all the criterias necessary however it seems that Fredrik finally did that.

#5 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 13 May 2004 - 06:01 PM

yes - they all seem very pleased with her!! I watched a documentary of her on TV the other night - don't know if any other country go it, but what was kind of odd was that all her family have the dinky di Aussie accent except for Mary - she has a European one, and it sounds like English is her SECOND language!! How did that happen???

Anyway, she'll be married tonight - around midnight here, so it'll be a late one!!

Can you believe she met him in a pub in Sydney during the Olympics??

#6 Sandra

Sandra

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 13 May 2004 - 06:04 PM

QUOTE(Martha C @ May 13 2004, 12:32 AM)
a place called Tasmania ... sounds wild, wonderful, and intriguing.

Martha - I forgot to add that 'Tassie' (as we like to call it - pronounced 'Tazzy') is also known as the Apple Isle - they grow BEAUTIFUL apples there . . . .

This morning I heard a radio commentator ask if the Frederick-Mary union was going to be known as the "Apple Danish" laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

#7 Aussie Girl

Aussie Girl

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 13 May 2004 - 10:58 PM

Hi Karin, I am the Karen whom Jacky had you confused with in another post but in fact she was closer than she knew. Although I am an Australian my name is pronounced the same as yours as my grandfather on my fathers side was Norwegian & my grandmother Danish. It was one of my ancestors who was the person responsible for seperating Norway from Sweden. When the government of the time changed he had to flee Norway & was only able to return using his wife's (my great, great, great etc. grandmother) maiden name which my family has kept to this day.

We Aussies are an interesting lot, no wonder Frederick chose Mary. I think she is lovely & will be watching THE wedding at mid-night to-night.

Karen

#8 Petals

Petals

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,902 posts

Posted 14 May 2004 - 01:25 AM

This is really interesting! Love stories with happy endings! Thanks for all your little snippets........Karin, Karen, Martha, Sandra..... smile.gif

P.S. Am catching up this morning! t.v. ph34r.gif

#9 Karin

Karin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 14 May 2004 - 02:29 AM

Hi Karen, it was really fun to hear the stories about your ancestors. I donąt know if you know that we "got" Norway from Denmark in the early 1800's after having lost Finland to Russia. And Denmark in their turn had had Norway since arund the 1300's So we Northern neighbours are really close. And Sweden has never really been able to accept that all our territories eventually has been taken away from us, Norway was the last one to go in 1905. I do understand that your ancestor had to flee the country when propagating for separation of the union. The Swedish king at the time was close to abdicate from his thrown in order to prevent the government from absolving the union between the countries.

As for the wedding: It is early morning here in Stockholm and already Swedish television is constantly giving live reports from Copenhagen about the preparations and whatever. They even had serious discussions with "experts" about the choice of Mary as a future queen. They all agreed she was perfect! Obviously this marriage is a matter that is taken very serious in our northern countries.

#10 Aussie Girl

Aussie Girl

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 14 May 2004 - 07:25 AM

Thank you Karin you are quite right & on re-reading my post I realize I typed in "separating Norway from Sweden" when in fact it was Norway from Denmark. My ancestor drowned at sea fleeing Norway for a second time in 1804. I only remember what my father, who was born in Australia told me but I have our family tree & can trace back the names & dates. I think he was my great, great, great, great grandfather who was born in 1766. My grandfather was one of the founders of the Danish Club here in Melbourne but sadly I have never been to Scandanavia.

Karen

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users