35 replies to this topic

#16 Ann and Ken

Ann and Ken

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 21 October 2002 - 09:14 PM

Hi Gail,

Everything you said is absolutly correct.

How do we get El to listen??? [Roll Eyes]

At the Dallas covn. We all talked to the El V.P.in charge of marketing with all these concerns and were promised he would look into things. Things are now worse. This year we have had to send back the giraffe(wobbled,got a new one),the building came all beat up and has to go back and now the Octopus. The apple had problems but has now been reissued. And the list of complaints goes on. But what to do??? [Confused]

We do believe that the sales will be flat this year for a number of reasons ,one being the dealers that were buying 6 at a time are no longer doing that as they can't sell them.

I vote for us to all pitch in and buy Lisa a ticket to EL headquaters or better yet send her to the warehouse sale. [Big Grin] [Big Grin] (learning the gremlims).

The Van is the best of the Harrods lot. [Razz]

You can buy the cards and showgirl from the EL Spa in NY. Email me if you want the number.

So far the Jay Strongwater solids have not had a problem. Do we see a pattern here?? Has anyone seen the compacts(mirror only)he has out now???
His trinket boxes are made in Poland, don't know where the solids are made. The quality is what we use to get and now miss.

Ann & Ken

#17 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 21 October 2002 - 09:58 PM

What I really don't like are the warehouse sales, shouldn't these things be offered to the collectors instead of people buying them just to get rich from us [Mad]

I also cringe when I see a solid in the Cosmetic Company store for 20% off when I paid full price. I also hate that when you call they won't tell you what they have in stock or tell you that they don't sell solids when they do! [Roll Eyes]

Do they not care for us collectors? [Confused]
They really should, we are a valuable resource to them here. We express what we like, don't like and things we would like to see in the future. In the end I believe it is all about the money.

Last, I contacted someone several times at Lauder both by email, phone and by letter about this site to ask for information, I have never had a response.

[ October 21, 2002, 10:59 PM: Message edited by: Lisa ]

#18 Ann and Ken

Ann and Ken

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 21 October 2002 - 10:06 PM

Lisa,

Hate to break it to you but the Cosmetic Store in Ala. was selling them for 40% off. [Mad]
They are out for now.

Any more good news you would like to hear I will be glad to pass it on. [Big Grin]

#19 luscious11@aol.com

luscious11@aol.com

Pamela

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 21 October 2002 - 11:00 PM

Gail:

I'm with you girlfriend!!! Unfortunately big corporations do big business - and you and I are just the little guys (Gals) on the block...
It's refreshing to see there are people out there who speak their mind...you go girl!!!!

Regards, Pamela
pmeeson@rochester.rr.com

#20 luscious11@aol.com

luscious11@aol.com

Pamela

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 21 October 2002 - 11:16 PM

Ann & Ken & Lisa:

I agree 1000% with all of you !!!! That's what really makes me sad about EL. It seems the bigger you get out there the more you want and need to stay up there on top (big corporations).
When I was invited to a luncheon with some other collectors and EL executives a few years ago in Ft. Lauderdale, I was told that EL wanted our feedback and ideas about future solids; that we would be asked what we we thought about this and that (at this luncheon). The luncheon was very nice and I met some very lovely people but never was I asked anything about solids!!!! Oh, yeah they asked me how many I had and how many I could loan to the museum show! Don't get me wrong I was very excited to be asked to the luncheon and cocktail party too but I wanted to give my thoughts and hear feedback from others who share my interest.
EL needs to rethink this whole exclusive thing,
limited supply thing, not to mention this over the top price thing!!!!!!!
Thanks for letting me vent!!!!
Regards, Pamela

#21 pancho

pancho

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 22 October 2002 - 12:58 AM

Whew.....I'm glad people are starting to feel like I did a few months ago. When I posted my first comment, people were offended and suggested that I not bother to participate in this site. As it turns out, everything I said then has come to fruition. I have been watching the site for sometime now and couldn't wait any longer to jump in with my comments. I do like this year's Lion even tho' they used the base from the toy wagon! I also like the Harrod's van....I will however return the Octupus that is defective, and I'm sure they will re-surface at a much cheaper price and I can buy one back. I am glad to have this site and would like to thank Lisa and her husband for putting it together. I'll await feedback. Thanks, Pancho

#22 Ann and Ken

Ann and Ken

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 22 October 2002 - 10:47 AM

Hi Jacqueline ,

Ken & I do not like to be negative but its hard to pay so much for a solid and have it be so shoddy. From the sound of it, ours was not the worse. The stones were chipped and not placed very well ,the awnings crooked, gap at the closure. All the solids we ordered were loose in the box which may explain some of the damage.
[Frown]
Also we were lead to believe that not many would be made because of the high price but the card that came with it states 500 were made compared to 400 for the bear and 400 for the van.

Ken just now got off the phone with Harrods. He had a hard time explaining about the solids coming loose in their boxes and coming open so if you could maybe say something to them about that.
The SA's here put extra paper around the solid itself to prevent this from happening in shipping. The building being two pieces the pieces just banged together. [Frown]

The person that is helping us name is Farzy.
She also said that they had plenty and would send us a new one(after we return one).

Wish we could go with you the Harrods. [Smile]

Ann & Ken

#23 pancho

pancho

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 22 October 2002 - 11:01 AM

I just contacted Farzy to cancel my order on the Palace. She said it was too late (conveniently) because it was in the shipping department. She asked why? I told her about all the problems, she said there aren't any. It will be interesting to see it. It's odd that there are more of the palace than the van and bear??? My palace is supposedly signed which may or may not increase the value. After closer inspection of my Octupus which thanks to this site I would have overlooked...it looks like there is some "spillage" or at least a lot of dulling on the enamel near the hinge...they must really have had problems with it holding the perfume in it. The other one I got which I can't remember ordering hmnnnn? is the igloo....it is very cute, but the scale is very wrong....the Polar Bear cute Eat the whole igloo in one fell swoop, and the Snowman would fall on it and crush it. It just doesn't fit in size with the others. I did break down and bought the Spanish dancers and think they look very nice together. I think the general release ones especially the Pegasus with it's massive box (much bigger than the Circus Lion) are the best value, the sandcastle is sweet and so is the puppy....I think I'll have to start sticking to the "mainstream" ones. I have about 150 Estee pieces (compacts too) + a lot of other's so I'm just about done with my $$$. I'll be writing to the Estee company as well and will be awaiting my Palace with bated breath. Take care....

#24 Flyaway

Flyaway

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 22 October 2002 - 01:31 PM

Talked to Lorna's assistant today about the octupus..told me I should recieve a letter from Neimans explaining the problem.I started collecting YEARS ago, when they were "mid-priced"..last 4-5 years they have doubled and tripled in retail price.And I am also tired of inferior product for major bucks.I am with Pancho..I will haunt my local outlets and if I can get it for less than retail,I will return mine to Neimans.On Ebay I have noticed a trend..right after Christmas seems like solids sell at a preimum...then level off.I dont pay alot of attention to Ebay..have Strongwater's solids been listed??

#25 Petals

Petals

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 22 October 2002 - 06:33 PM

Dear Ann and Ken,

I am really hoping to visit tomorrow, Wednesday, but will have to go through all the comments on my computer so that I am ready and armed! Hopefully I will log in tomorrow night with news and reactions!

Hope my English way of writing things is not too long winded and confusing this time around.

Best wishes, Jacqueline

[ October 23, 2002, 12:10 PM: Message edited by: Lisa ]

#26 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 22 October 2002 - 06:48 PM

Thanks Jacqueline,

We look forward to hearing what you find out!! [Smile]

#27 Gail C.

Gail C.

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 22 October 2002 - 09:01 PM

HELLO EVERYONE!
I WANTED TO ADD THAT HARRODS CHARGED ME 37.15 POUNDS STERLING (ROUGHLY $56.00) FOR SHIPPING AND INSURANCE. I REALLY DO NOT KNOW IF I SHOULD SEND THEM BACK OR NOT. I WOULD HATE NOT TO HAVE THE PALACE IF IT COULD NOT BE REPLACED. I ALSO NOTICED THAT ONE OF THE BEARS DOES NOT HAVE THE "NOSE" DECORATION SO IT WILL HAVE TO GO BACK TOO [Mad] . I WILL HAVE TO CONTACT HARRODS TO SEE WHAT CAN BE DONE. MORE INCONVIENENCE FOR ME [Mad] .
ANYONE THAT WISHES TO EMAIL ME DIRECT FEEL FREE TO DO SO. I WOULD BE HAPPY TO HEAR FROM YOU.
CWCGEC@MSN.COM
GAIL C. [Smile]

#28 Ron

Ron

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 22 October 2002 - 09:27 PM

Gail
Thats 2 bears now as I have sent one back with the same problem. Too hard to put a drop of paint on the nose.

#29 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 22 October 2002 - 10:23 PM

Wow, what's going on with the Harrods solids?? [Confused]

#30 luscious11@aol.com

luscious11@aol.com

Pamela

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 22 October 2002 - 10:43 PM

I have never ordered from Harrod's - And I don't know now whether I ever will!!! Don't they charge big money for shipping??? And what happens if you have to return and then have them send again?? I don't know about that...
You could buy another solid in the u.s.a. for the price you pay for shipping, etc.....no?

Pamela

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users