• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 Ann and Ken

Ann and Ken

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 19 October 2002 - 11:16 PM

EL has recalled from its stores the Octopus due to a mold flaw keeping a stone in place.

The stone would be located on the back leg close to the body.
If you do not know to look it is easily missed. I missed mine till a kind fellow member pointed it out. Thanks.

So far 25% have been returned.

You need to look at your Octopus and see if it has a problem as the stores are not contacting buyers to alert them of this problem.

No word yet on if they are going to make more.

Ann & Ken

#2 Gail C.

Gail C.

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 19 October 2002 - 07:31 PM

HELLO ANN & KEN,
I AM TRYING TO CLARIFY WHAT THE PROBLEM IS WITH THE OCTOPUS. I READ YOUR MESSAGE AND LOOKED AT MINE BUT I DID NOT UNDERSTAND WHAT TO LOOK FOR.
COULD YOU GIVE US A MORE DETAILED EXPLANATION?
THANK YOU,
GAIL C.

#3 Ann and Ken

Ann and Ken

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 19 October 2002 - 07:51 PM

Looking at the back of the Octopus,the first upturned leg to the right of the hinge,the second stone from the body will be missing.
On close exam you can see that the hole is mis-shapened and slightly out of line causing the stone to fall out, so it not just a matter of gluing in a new stone although you could try.
This is a mold defect. All the returns have the same stone missing.

Ken is going to try a photo of it and send it to Lisa for posting.

Hope this helps.
Ann & Ken

#4 Ann and Ken

Ann and Ken

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 19 October 2002 - 08:04 PM

Sorry , the photos did not come out well. We can try again Mon. night with a better camera if anyone wants photos.

Please let us know if our discription helped .

Ann & Ken

#5 Michele

Michele

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 19 October 2002 - 10:19 PM

It looks more like the end of the hinge rather than a flaw. I believe it's the only place they could place the hinge, and they tried to blend the overall effect into the stone setting - minus a stone. Not terribly noticeable, and actually very well done. At least, that's how I see it. Anyone else? [Eek!]

#6 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 20 October 2002 - 10:31 AM

Thanks Ann & Ken for the great information, I thinking about getting one now..... [Confused]

#7 Ann and Ken

Ann and Ken

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 20 October 2002 - 11:10 PM

If we are talking about the same leg- there is a hole there for a stone, there is a stone both before the missing one and after. It can be seen when the Octopus is right side up and why would EL send out an official recall to the stores if it is not big deal?

It all boils down to what you are willing to pay for. Retail from the stores needs to be as perfect as possible and then if we want, we can pay less for it at the outlets or warehouse for less than perfect ones sent back.

EL is supposed to distroy the solids sent back with a problem but we all know they don't.

We were only trying to alert our friends on this board to a problem; not in any way putting a particular solid down. The Octopus is one of our favorite solids.

Ann & Ken

#8 Flyaway

Flyaway

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 20 October 2002 - 07:59 PM

Well it looks like I got a DOUBLE OOPS...I am missing that stone and leg next to it is missing one...what a dilemma..I LOVE this solid,and also got the matching powder compact.I am going to call my Neimans lady and figgure out something...what a PICKLE...Ann and Ken,are you returning yours??

#9 Aussie Girl

Aussie Girl

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 20 October 2002 - 10:30 PM

Ann & Ken - Yes I can see exactly what you mean the hole is mis-shapen & the stone missing. I had mine bought in New York for me a brought to Australia by a friend so I don't know what to do about the problem. The Octopus has not arrived here yet - perhaps the Australian delivery will be cancelled altogether which makes me feel I should just hang onto it even without the stone. How disappointing.

#10 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 21 October 2002 - 09:58 AM

I popped into my Neiman Marcus to look at the Octopus, only to find out that they had already been sent back to Lauder [Eek!]
I think I may have purchased it if they had it, who knows if they will be produced again?? [Confused]

#11 Ann and Ken

Ann and Ken

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 21 October 2002 - 10:33 AM

I guess what bothers us the most is that after spending thousands of dollars over the years the stores didn't call to say there was a problem. They have had the recall for a couple of weeks. If we had not found out by talking to one another we would never know. Then if they reissue it ours will be junk.

As for as returning the octopus- We are waiting to see if there will be a decision on reissue. NM has a year long return policy so there is no hury.

The stores have our number to call when they want us to buy .

Ann & Ken

#12 Lisa

Lisa

2000 Post Member

• Admin
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 21 October 2002 - 10:50 AM

Yes, I totally agree with you! The stores should have let us know [Mad]
We all thank you Ann & Ken for getting the information to the rest of us collectors. [Wink]
My feeling are that the cost to make the mold and the whole production process may be too much and they may not re-issue it, then you will have a very desirable and sought after solid. [Big Grin]
That is why I was going to get it the other day.

#13 Ann and Ken

Ann and Ken

1000 Post Member

• Members
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 21 October 2002 - 01:14 PM

I am with you Lisa. I don't think they will reissue it, but you never know.

What will be sad is that the returned ones will all end up on ebay or at the outlets for much less. As I said before , EL is supposed to distroy bad ones but we all know they won't and the market will be full of them.
Look at what is on ebay now. You can always tell when there has been a warehouse sale in NYC.

Guess it's a wait and see.
Thanks for giving us a place to vent.
Ann

#14 Petals

Petals

2000 Post Member

• Members
  • 2,904 posts

Posted 21 October 2002 - 04:56 PM

Hello everyone,

You might be interested to hear that the White Linen Octopus is on sale here. I am not sure whether other stores apart from Harrods are stocking it.

I hope to pop in on Wednesday (Ron take note), latest Thursday,so I will check them out, bearing your comments in mind, and meanwhile if any of you require any help please let me know beforehand.

The price here is 1O2 Sterling. Probably more expensive than in the States.

Jacqueline [Smile]

#15 Gail C.

Gail C.

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 21 October 2002 - 07:37 PM

HELLO TO EVERYONE!
I JUST WANTED TO LET YOU KNOW THAT I RECEIVED MY HARRODS SOLIDS TODAY. I ORDERED TWO OF EACH ONE.
THE HARRODS BUILDING IS NICE BUT I MUST SAY I FEEL IT WAS NOT OF THE QUALITY THAT I EXPECTED.
ONE OF THEM CAME WITH A STONE THAT HAD FALLEN OUT OF THE AWNING. THE OTHER HAD THE AWNING LAYING LOOSE IN THE BOX AND I HAD TO GLUE IT BACK ON. ALSO, ONE OF THE LUCITE BASES HAD A CHIP ON IT.
I AM TRYING TO DECIDE IF I WILL KEEP THEM OR SEND THEM BACK. I HATE TO RETURN THEM JUST BECAUSE OF THE HASSLE.
THE BEAR WAS CUTE.
THE VAN IS OUR FAVORITE, THE QUALITY IS GOOD.
CHUCK AND I HAVE DECIDED TO NOT BUY ANYMORE UNTIL WE SEE THEM IN PERSON. THE PRICES HAVE INCREASED SO MUCH AND THE QUALITY HAS DECLINED. WE DID ORDER THE SHOWGIRL AND THE CARDS FROM VEGAS BUT THAT IS IT!
ESTEE LAUDER'S CORPORATE POLICY SEEMS TO BE MORE INTERESTED IN MAKING MONEY BY SELLING AN INFERIOR QUALITY PRODUCT AND DESTOYING THE VALUE OF OUR COLLECTIONS BY SELLING HUGE LOTS OF SURPLUS PRODUCT AT "WAREHOUSE SALES".
OUR COLLECTIONS ARE AT RISK OF DECREASING IN VALUE IF THIS TREND IN CORPORATE POLICY CONTINUES.
IF YOU THINK THIS IS "HYSTERIA" JUST LOOK AT THE PRICES ON EBAY NOW.
FOLKS, THE PRICES ARE FALLING, NO DOUBT ABOUT IT. THOSE BULK SALES ARE GOING TO DESTROY THE VALUES OF THOSE OF US THAT PAID RETAIL.WE HAVE SPENT THOUSANDS$$$ ALSO AND FEEL ESTEE LAUDER HAS TURNED THEIR BACK ON THEIR "CORE" MARKET.
DOES ANYONE ELSE HAVE AN OPINION ON THIS?
GAIL C.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users